Best / Worst BC related experience to happen to this year

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Best / Worst BC related experience to happen to this year

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Well, It is almost that time again that we reflect on another year passing by.

I trust that many of you have had a most enjoyable 'Bomber Command 'experience' happen to you over the past 12 months.
IE - Some of you may have found details of a family member who served with BC. That is a very rewarding experience.

Some of you, chasing details, may have drawn a blank but we can all try again next year.

The only negative I have experienced this year relating to BC is that the 630 Sqn Homepage Forum shut down without any knowledge of it going to happen.
Anyway, hopefully, answers for all of us will arise in the New Year.

I would certainly like to hear from any members as to what their most pleasing result was for 2012.
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best / Worst BC related experience to happen to this yea

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

My best Bomber Command experience of 2012 was the meeting with veterans at the Stirling Aircraft Society's Annual Meeting.
Unfortunately I haven't yet realised my second best experience of 2012: The visit to the Bomber Command Memorial!
Kind regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Worst experience,........ sending nearly 200 files (ORB pages) to someone, which covered their relatives tour of ops with !!!squadron, and not getting any thanks whatsoever in return. And adding insult to injury, the person in question, advertised on another forum, that they had the files, and offered assistance to anyone who might need information :x
Best experience..... all the others, but if i had to pick one, it would be passing on the last known photo of a BC pilot, sat in his cockpit, awaiting take-off on the op that him and his crew were killed on, to his son, who did'nt know the photo existed.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

AlanW wrote:Worst experience,........ sending nearly 200 files (ORB pages) to someone, which covered their relatives tour of ops with !!!squadron, and not getting any thanks whatsoever in return. And adding insult to injury, the person in question, advertised on another forum, that they had the files, and offered assistance to anyone who might need information
Absolutely shameful, Alan. If it was me, the person in question would be 'named' so that other members know this person true character.

Thank goodness we don't come across such individuals too often.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Gents,

It’s been an up and down year for the research,

The high points

Remembrance Day at RAF Tempsford
Having to the opportunity to view and copy Wing Commander Ronnie Jell DFC RAF memorabilia accumulated between 1938-1955
Becoming custodian of the No.218 (Gold Coast) photographic archives.
The completion of the Bomber Command Memorial

The lows;

Missing the opportunity by just months to meet Wing Commander Ronnie Jell DFC.
Having my book on No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron rejected because “it is no longer financially viable to produce two volume squadron history’s, reduce it by 50% and we will be publish it” ( I bet if it was on 617 it would be in print by now !! :lol: )

And lastly ENGLAND stuffing the All Blacks :D :D :D I WAS THERE !!!

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
colinpateman
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by colinpateman »

Achieving my ambition to get my book published which corrects several errors previously written about the RAF GOLDFISH - CATERPILLAR & GUINEA PIG CLUBS. www.colinpateman.com
Taking a runway ride in the Lancaster and sitting in the rear gunners turret which promoted my thoughts on writing a book on 'Rear Gunners'

Providing and reading a script at the funeral for a Spitfire Pilot I had known for several years.

Colin.