An unidentified conflagration!

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

An unidentified conflagration!

Post by GuyMassey »

The attached photograph has no caption on the reverse, and there are no clues visible on the Lancaster. It was among other photographs that were taken by my father, so I assume this is one of his too. His main UK postings were Keevil, Chedburgh, and Leicester East. Father was on Stirlings throughout, so this may have been an aircraft diverted, I suspect to Keevil, having been damaged on ops and crashing on landing. It is daylight, so perhaps there was some other cause. I only hope that the crew got out!
Attachments
Lanc.jpg
Lanc.jpg (36.37 KiB) Viewed 5536 times
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Re: An unidentified conflagration!

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Great photo!

There does not seem to be any mg's in the rear turret ( I maybe wrong ) so maybe not an operational prang ?

Thanks for posting.

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

A closer look perhaps .........
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

Always the possibility that it was a struck off aircraft that was set on fire for fire and rescue training purposes.

Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Good point, Kerry.
What do you think of about the possibility of that black type shadow above the wing about 3/4 of the page across ............ to me it looks like a Halifax tail fin don't you think?
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Not sure but, it looks very much as though the rear turret may be turned to port, and showing what looks like the doors trhat close behind the gunner, one side of which is open. If so, then there may be guns, just out of view. Also looks as if the aircraft has come to rest, by hitting that tree, so possibly not a purposely set exercise.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

Looking closely at the wings. For an aircraft that is fairly intact, except for being in flames, I can't see any evidence of the engines. That and the rear section of the wing missing neatly could imply that it is a written off aircraft being destroyed.

Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi Kerry,
It looks like it may be, that be the missing section of wing, has fallen off just below it.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

What about the chunk lying in the foreground? If it was a firefighting exercise I wouldn't have thought that would be there.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Maybe some evidence that the aircraft has slid along the ground? The stb. aileron seems to have soil (?) against it. Are there two different photos here - the first one shows the nose section clearly. Would not the wings have gone up in flames - fuel tanks? The fire seems to have started in the fuselage and largely contained there - possibly amidships - as that is where the most destruction has occurred. And then spread along. Have some difficulty in relating the shape arrowed to a Halifax fin. The piece in the foreground could have blown there by a small explosion - oxygen bottle or similar. I don't think the aircraft would have been parked nose to the trees. Maybe no ordnance on board as certainly the 303 cartridges would have exploded and any sensible photographer wold not have stood that close?

Not a clue really!