BBC 2 Documentary - 'The Lancaster - Britain's Flying Past'

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

BBC 2 Documentary - 'The Lancaster - Britain's Flying Past'

Post by PAFG »

Caught most of this documentary from John Sergeant. It was a curious affair - not very informative but some touching scenes with veterans and families (e.g. the story covered in the Mirror - second URL below). I'm unclear why Sergeant pinned his story to the Lancaster - his story was more broadly Bomber Command. The 'storyline' was skittish - from Peenemunde to Dresden (where he offered no insight whatsoever, merely noting that it remains controversial) then to the Dams raid and on to Op Manna. Anyway, see what you think:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... lying-past

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life- ... rs-3867314

Richard
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: BBC 2 Documentary - 'The Lancaster - Britain's Flying Pa

Post by AlanW »

Richard,.
I am inclined to agree with what you have said about this documentary. I did find, on several occasions, that i was physically shaking my head as to his dialogue, and i will be watching a recording again, to give it a second opinion. Saved by, as you said, very touching scenes, and anyone who did not have a dry eye, after watching Elaine Towlson placing the 7 red roses into the wreckage of that Lancaster in the water, must be very hard hearted. :cry:
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: BBC 2 Documentary - 'The Lancaster - Britain's Flying Pa

Post by ME453 »

I thought it a disappointing programme. The thing that surprised me the most was that he never actually went inside the BBMF Lanc, so viewers will have had no information about how cramped it was for crew, how difficult to move around etc. As far as I can recall the only internal shots were those of a B17 waist gunner squirting at Fw190s! Not really recommended viewing I'm afraid.
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron