A group build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

A group build

Post by halifax1 »

A number of other similarly oriented forums run "group builds", Basically these are where a group of members build the same model or, more frequently. a model of an aircraft that relates to a particular time zone, type or whatever. It can act as an incentive to build something. And so I am wondering if perhaps we could hold one here - to get a few more people interested in model building.

To make is easy the choice of model could be yours - save that perhaps it should be WWII at least and perhaps vaguely related to Bomber Command. For my part it is a bit difficult to appreciate how someone who is interested to the extent that clearly some people are on here are cannot have a yearning to build a model.

The great advantage of building from a plastic kit is that the outlay is as small or as large as you want it to be, and the extent of detail etc. is also up to you. Basic tools are all that is needed. John of course did go a bit overboard with his Lancaster (and surprised a few to boot) but disregard that if you wish. As has been said modelling does drastically increase ones familiarity with a chosen type. Old hands like Max - and newer ones like John will willingly lend a hand if need be.

So what say you chaps - and I don't want to make this an order, so volunteers - two paces forward - maaaaarch! Wake up at the back there you 'orrible little man.
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: A group build

Post by R5868 »

Well I've just finished mine. It represents a Lanc that is still at the factory awaiting assembly. My factory is represented by a box.
Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Kerry said ......
Well I've just finished mine. It represents a Lanc that is still at the factory awaiting assembly. My factory is represented by a box.
Any chance of some photos of the box, Kerry?

Seriously though, certainly would like to see some pics and as David mentioned, a 'group build' sounds like an excellent idea ...... GREAT Post David!

Purely just a thought but what would members say the building a 1:72 scale Short Stirling? It is accessible to purchase, it would also be beneficial to the site and forum, as a whole.

We could even cut & paste, collate all the photos to make a group photo with all 'tag' names attached................ Anyway, just a thought.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Have I got to build another one then??
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

David, as much as I, and we, the members, wish to build another 'model', I / we, would enjoy nothing more than seeing you, showing us mere mortals the way, in producing a aircraft model, in keeping with Bomber Command protocol.
The members and or, your friends know, whatever, should you decide to put forward, we can all be proud of.
Just watch out for that Max, fellow .......he could be trouble!
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Hmmmm ... I just do not know what to think - but of one thing I am sure.....

Just watch out for that Max, fellow .......he could be trouble!

He jolly well is "trouble".......

But it would be so nice to see some other chaps building a model on here - I have built two probably three in the last year or two and frankly am exhausted. But if that is what it takes to encourage others then so be it!!! Of course Max, bless him. would be a little more forthright - "come on you lazy gits - stop watching the TV reality shows and give your brain a chance - play with some plastic for a change". He is probably feeling particularly liverish at present because he has some models on a deadline... sucker!!

Must say I do like Kerry's post!
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

K4KittyCrew wrote: Any chance of some photos of the box, Kerry?

John
John, when I tried to make a scale model (1/72) of the Metropolitan Vickers plant on Mosley Rd, Manchester, as the box the neighbours complained to the council about the unauthorised building in the backyard. Just because I had to knock down part of their fence to do it. Good thing I wasn't doing a scale model of Waddington.
Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

How about the Shuttleworrth Collection - nice varied collection of aircraft and a grass airfield. Should fit in the average back yard in Australia - at 1:48 even?

http://www.shuttleworth.org/the-collection.asp