SHORT STIRLING AIRCRAFT & CREW PHOTOGRAPH'S

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: SHORT STIRLING AIRCRAFT & CREW PHOTOGRAPH'S

Post by K4KittyCrew »

here is a 570 Squadron photo from April 1945.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

The photo is of poor quality ............ but, it still goes in the collection.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Not sure if we have had this one posted already. Squadron - unknown.
John
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Here are a couple more photos, with credits listed.
John
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Here's one from 75Sqn.
John
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Thanks John for the great photo.
There are not many photo's around of "C Flight" Stirlings.

Cheers,
Wayne.
jhw1980
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by jhw1980 »

I have been reading about your comments and i was hoping you could possibly help me. You mentioned in earlier posts that the navigator was Jack Hassett. I was under the impression this individual was Graham Arthur Hassett due to the information declared on this link (http://www.evasioncomete.org/feliotns.html). Additionally, my grandfather`s grave has him killed on the 2nd May 1944 and places him with Squadron 218, which was the date of the mission and squadron that Noel Stirling Elliott undertook and was subsequently shot down. I have checked with the Australian Memorial Archive and they have said it is Jack Hassett also. I was wondering why I am getting this opposing views. Any help you can possibly give me would be appreciated as I am trying to learn more about my grandfather as he died before my mother was born and we are trying to source a picture of him. Many thanks, J
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bob Wilton »

jhw1980 wrote:I have been reading about your comments and i was hoping you could possibly help me. You mentioned in earlier posts that the navigator was Jack Hassett. I was under the impression this individual was Graham Arthur Hassett due to the information declared on this link (http://www.evasioncomete.org/feliotns.html). Additionally, my grandfather`s grave has him killed on the 2nd May 1944 and places him with Squadron 218, which was the date of the mission and squadron that Noel Stirling Elliott undertook and was subsequently shot down. I have checked with the Australian Memorial Archive and they have said it is Jack Hassett also. I was wondering why I am getting this opposing views. Any help you can possibly give me would be appreciated as I am trying to learn more about my grandfather as he died before my mother was born and we are trying to source a picture of him. Many thanks, J

Hi, jhw 1980

I have just found the photograph you have mentioned. The information comes directly from the Australian National Archive.
The only thing I can think of is that the name Jack Hassett has come from the donor of the photograph( N. Elliott) who could be the RAAF
pilot of F/Sgt Graham Arthur Hasset's aircraft. The only explanation I can think of is that yout grandfather was known as Jack to his crew
mates. In your PM you said that Jack was a family name so this could be the reason he was known as Jack!

Best Regards

Bob

The crew of Short Stirling III EF259 HA-G RAF 218 Squadron,which came down on the Chably Operation on 1/2nd May 1944. Picture source:- Australian War Memorial.

Woolfox Lodge, England. c. April 1944. Informal group portrait of the crew in front of their Stirling bomber aircraft of No. 218 Squadron RAF. From left to right: Charles 'Jock' Weir RAF, mid ...
Description Woolfox Lodge, England. c. April 1944. Informal group portrait of the crew in front of their Stirling bomber aircraft of No. 218 Squadron RAF. From left to right: Charles 'Jock' Weir RAF, mid upper gunner of Scotland; Ted Hawkins RAF, flight engineer of England; Paddy Clayton RAF, wireless operator of Ireland 415242 Flight Lieutenant (Flt Lt) Noel Stirling Eliot RAAF, pilot; 429068 Flying Officer Kevin John O'Neil (Jack) Lynch RAAF, bomb aimer; Johnny Grantham RAF, rear gunner of Sussex, England; Jack Hassett RAF, navigator of England. The aircraft this crew were flying was shot down on 1 May 1944 while on a bombing raid over the Chambly railway marshalling yards, north of Paris. Those killed were Jack Hassett, Ted Hawkins, Paddy Clayton and Johnny Grantham. Flt Lt Eliot was one of four survivors, including Charles 'Jock' Weir, schoolteacher from NSW before enlistment and Sergeant Wilson. The Germans buried the remains of the crew near the crash site but the bodies were reburied in the churchyard of the Church of St Denis at Poix after villagers had begun to put flowers at the crash site. Flt Lt Eliot escaped from the aircraft by parachute and was picked up by members of the French Underground, surviving via the Comet (Comete) escape route, ending up in two camps of 152 Allied airmen , along with Jack Lynch and seven other Australian airmen, in the Forest of Freteval until liberation. (Donor N. Eliot)
Dicam ex animo. Sed nostri evocatis, ut debemus eis libertatem.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Here is a great photo from 214 (FMS) Squadron RAF. Click on 'photo album' and If you scroll down to near the bottom of page 4 of the photos, you will see this small photo but click on it once and it is very large, click on it again and not only can you identify the crew members but it also very clear. It would have to be the best quality squadron photo I have seen!
John
http://www.214squadron.org.uk/Aircraft_Stirling.htm
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Here's a colour photo of a 149 Sqn Stirling taken in Jan 1942 I'd not seen before from an interesting set of colour photos from WW2 on Flickr, here's the link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8270787...7605269786717/

Not sure who has the copyright so I'd better credit the guy on Flickr - "Etiennedup"

Dave