SHORT STIRLING AIRCRAFT & CREW PHOTOGRAPH'S

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: SHORT STIRLING AIRCRAFT & CREW PHOTOGRAPH'S

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great photos Alan. Please let me know what I can do to help. Questions please!
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

AlanW wrote:I knew my eyes did not decieve me!! :D
Well done - I take it that that is a different rendering of the other picture?
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Finally sorted out reducing the size of this photo for posting. so here it is. Taken at 1661 CU Winthorpe,of the crew in the photo, 1st left is the pilot, and 5th left the F/E, these two were not with this crew when they were shot down on the night of 6/7th June 44.
The rest were on board 106sqdn Lancaster NE150, with Sgt M.G.M. Warren as captain and Sgt F.L. Corner as F/E, all except (F/O Drylie-evaded) were killed, F/Sgt Black RAAF, survived, but was killed at Graignes 3 days later whilst with American troops, who were defending Craignes against SS troops, type "Craignes Massacre" into Google for details of this incident.
This photo was sent to me by Rodney and June Watts. Junes father is Sgt M.H. Wigham, 6th from left.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great photo Alan, I love close up's of crews and aircraft. Hope you don't mind if I 'photobucket' it.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi John,
Would it be possible to place it in the "Photo's" section of the site?
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
chromeboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by chromeboy »

as others have said, great pics & thanks for posting.

particularly interested in 2 of them- the pic of the Pilot from Perth (my home town) & the crew shot from 1661 where my grandad was for a period, always have high hopes that he might just be in one of them, but been unable to come across one so far.
Smiffy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Smiffy »

Afternoon all, I'm new to society after stumbling across your gold mine in search of information about my Grandpa, 155099 Sqn Ldr Michael Docherty. Almost straight away directed to this thread and dicscovered that his name features in the crew of the 199's last operational flight. Would be most grateful to any of you who had any other information about him, his friends or any of the missions he flew.
He held the DFC and I know that he knew more than most about the radar counter measures of the day but I don't know much more than that because, sadly, he suffered quite early on from Alzhiemers and gradually all was lost.
The cache of photos appearing in this thread are wonderful and addictive, thank you for unearthing them.

Yours in anticipation,
Paul Smith,
Trenchard Brat (153 entry) and current police air support pilot.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Welcome to the forum Paul and great to have you here. Hopefully, the members can assist with some further details for you.
Cheers,
John
Theletterwriter
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Theletterwriter »

Paul

I have the complete 199 Operations Record Book and I would be happy to have a look through it if you wish to let you find out the dates of your grandfather's operations with the Squadron and his crew.

Regards

Douglas
Smiffy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Smiffy »

Thankyou for the warm welcome and prompt reply gentlemen.

Hi Douglas, and thank you for that very kind offer. I would hugely appreciate anything you could find, though it could be quite laborious as he was on 199 for a couple years I think. If I can assist with anymore personal details, then let me know, he came from Kirkintilloch originally so not a that far from your neck of the woods I believe. Please forgive tardy replies, I don't always have good email access.

All the best,

Paul.