Can anyone help with Pilot Ralph Waters?

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
sghage01
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Can anyone help with Pilot Ralph Waters?

Post by sghage01 »

Our missing relative was an RAF pilot called Flight Sgt. Ralph Waters from Squadron 218 (flying Stirlings) and based in Marham (Norfolk) I think he was KIA'd on 27.6.1942 in a 1000-plane bombing raid on Bremen over Germany 27 June 1942. He was in RAFVR. He’s buried in Sage Military Cemetary near Osnabruck (54 kms west of Bremen ). where he has a plot with a number.

Can anyone throw any light on his record, or circumstances of his death? Many thanks, Stephen :)
Oggie2620
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Re: Can anyone help with Pilot Ralph Waters?

Post by Oggie2620 »

Hi
You could try contacting the following which was on the RAF Register of Associations:
M Griffiths
218 (Gold Coast) Sqn Association
Honeysuckle Cottage
Langham Road
Badwell Ash
Bury St Edmunds
IP31 3DS
Tel: 01359-259293
Email: squadron@tiscali.co.uk

Should still be up to date.

This might be of interest:

http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn216-220.htm
Dee
M Simpson
Corporal
Corporal

Post by M Simpson »

Good morning Stephen,
Although I have nothing original to report,here is what I have on your relative.
Ralph Waters and his crew were lost on the night of 27/28 June 1942 during an attack on Bremen.However ,this was not the 1,000 aircraft attack,which took place on the night of 25/26 June 1942,but a smaller raid of 144 aircraft,of which nine were lost.
Your relative was the pilot of Stirling I,serial DJ974,coded HA-T, which was damaged by flak and crashed into the sea off Hohenstiefersiel,Germany.The crew was;
Sgt. R.Waters.
Sgt.J.K.L.Heath.
P/O H.M.Simon.
Sgt. J.Armstrong.
Sgt. G.A.Gow.
Sgt.T.C.Parry,RCAF.
Sgt.F.Dick.
Waters and Dick were first buried at Wilhelmshaven,but are now in Sage cemetery.The rest of the crew lie in Hannover War Cemetery.All sources I have give your relative's rank as Sergeant.
DJ974 was part of a small serial run of six aircraft produced in Spring 1942 to replace six aircraft destroyed during a Luftwaffe raid on the Short's factory at Rochester during The Battle of Britain,and reached 218 Squadron at the beginning of May 1942.As far as I can tell,the aircraft completed eleven sorties before being lost.
All the above information is published here and there,so for more interesting and personal information ,I would recommend getting in touch with Stephen Smith,member smudgersmith218 on this forum, who is 218 Squadron historian and 3 Group expert.
Hope this is of interest,
Regards,Mark.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi,

Happy to supply further details if required, below is taken from draft copy of my 218 Squadron history which I'm still working on titled "In Time "

This the final 1000 bomber raid fell well short of the success of Cologne, but far surpassed the debacle at Essen. 572 houses were destroyed, and many important war industry factories sustained damage, as did one of the shipyards, but the cost in bombers was a new record forty eight, including one from 218 Squadron. Pilot Officer Brian Francis Ball and crew were shot down by a nightfighter flown by Oblt Ludwig Becker of II./NJG2 at 00.39hrs. Their Stirling W7503 HA-R crashed on the Wieringermeer Polder on the banks of the Ijsselmeer in northern Holland, killing the entire crew. Pilot Officer Ball was on his fifteenth operation, and had flown on all of the “thousand bomber” raids, his wireless operator, Sgt Rogers, had completed a total twenty seven sorties. The body of Sergeant Kenneth Rogers was washed ashore on July 7th and laid to rest in Makkum Protestant Cemetery. The crew of Sergeant Waters were hit by heavy flak on route to target rendering both starboard engines u/s. With No.5 tank holed and leaking fuel the crew attempted to turn for base, suddenly and without warning the lumbering bomber went into a violent spin, it took the combined strength of both the pilot and flight engineer to regain control, once level the bomb load was jettisoned and a safe return to Marham was made.

.............................................................................................

It was back to Bremen on the 27th, ten crews found 10/10th cloud and bombed on TR fixes. Flak was heavy over the target area and had increased significantly since the previous attack, flak resulted in damage to two squadron aircraft. Sergeant S.G Falconer was attacked and R9333 HA-F extensively damaged by three night fighters, the instrument panel, turret controls and airframe were all hit, the all incendiary bomb load was jettisoned at 01.30hrs 3 miles S.E of Makkum, with great care Falconer landed back at base without further problems, such was the damaged to R9333 that it was beyond even the squadrons experienced ground crews, sent to SEBRO the aircraft did not return to the squadron until January 1943. For his exploits Falconer was award and immediate DFM, the citation reads,
“Temporary Sergeant S G Falconer was Captain of a Stirling aircraft which set out to raid Bremen on the night of 27/28th June 1942. About two miles over the Dutch coast, in the light of a full moon, the aircraft was attacked by a JU88, which climbed suddenly from about 3000 feet below on the port bow, passed underneath hand then came in on the port quarter. At the same time Sgt Falconer saw a second JU88 coming in from the starboard bow and, immediately afterwards, the rear gunner reported an ME110 approaching from dead astern. The ME110 and the rear gunner opened fire simultaneously at about 350 yards, the Stirling’s rear turret being rendered useless at once. The mid upper gunner took over fire control but a burst from the Messerschmitt, which was now coming in from the starboard and above, put that turret out of action. In the mean time the first JU88 had shot away the British bombers rear turret pipe lines and the second JU88 had been pumping her with tracer. The first JU88 attacked from dead ahead and, although the front gunner returned fire, his turret was rendered unserviceable after the first burst. During the whole of the combat, Sgt Falconer had been taking violent evasive action. Just when it seemed like he had shaken off his three attackers, a single engined unidentified enemy fighter appeared and raked the Stirling from nose to tail. The complete battle lasted for nearly 20 minutes and was fought from 15 000 feet down to sea level (the Stirling’s trailing aerial was actually whipped off over the Zuider Zee). With two of his crew wounded, his front mid upper turrets useless, his astrodome, blind flying panel and oxygen system shot away, flying controls and control stick damaged, brake system, intercom and TR9 out of action, Sgt Falconer set course for home and weaved his way through strong concentrations of light flak over the Dutch coast. Sgt Falconer showed daring and adroitness of a very high order. His cool courage and command of the situation were remarkable. His expert and stout hearted captaincy undoubtedly saved the lives of his crew. He has now taken part in 20 operational sorties embracing 101 operational hours. His loyalty, fearlessness and sense of duty are outstanding. He is very strongly recommended for the immediate award of the DFM

The squadron lost yet another crew, Sergeant Ralph Waters RAFVR and crew were shot down by flak crashing into the sea off Hohenstiefersiel. This was Ralph’s 18th operation, fourth as captain, there were no survivors from Short Stirling Mk.I DJ974 HA-T
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
Oggie2620
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Oggie2620 »

Will look forward to seeing it in print! :)
Dee