Runnymede Memorial

ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Runnymede Memorial

Post by ME453 »

I had the pleasure last Sunday of visiting the Runnymede Memorial which, as we all know, remembers those airmen who were lost with no known grave. For those members who haven't had the chance to see this poignant and immensely touching place, I've uploaded some photographs; the final one being especially for Kerry.

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Runnymede Memorial

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Many thanks for the post, Max. Very moving.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

25yrs since i took the missus up to Windsor for a weekend, visited Runnymede, a very moving couple of hours. Have they still got the book there for writing comments in.
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Yes Alan, the book is still there. The most moving tribute that I saw though was a "Happy 90th Birthday" card by one of the names, sent by his fiance. Incredible!
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Beautiful but sobering stuff Max. It's uncanny how such memorials attract an atmosphere to themselves even though removed from the people and events they commemorate. Thanks for posting

Richard
Denonline
BC Veteran
BC Veteran

Post by Denonline »

Richard, Down the years I have mde several visits to the memorial, often accompanying friends contacts etc. wishing to pay their respects to family members.I still get just as emotional. The atmosphere is quite overpowering. It adds to the feeling standing atop the tower, the quiteness, watching a/c. movements from nearby Heathrow, frequently banking over Windsor Castle as they set course as though they are dipping there wings in salute. These being some of the strange feelings that one gets. I can only begin to imagine the emotions that families must feel when visiting graves, crash sites etc. of loved ones

Dennis
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Yes, Dennis - and you know on the few occasions I have been there I almost feel I should stay for quite a while - very odd. A kind of "obligation" or something. But my people have graves and so there is no direct connection.
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

Max
I managed to get there in 2009 when I was over there. I went with Jack Maddison (ex-rear gunner and standard bearer) for the Aircrew Association Family Service. It was unfortunately to be Jack's last service as he passed away in early 2010. I videotaped the whole service and have sent a copy to Jack's son Keith, the sculptor of the Mynarski Statue.
Thanks for the thought. It was definitely a very moving place. Especially being shown around by a former airman.
Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons