Why Build Models?

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Why Build Models?

Post by halifax1 »

Well thank you my good man - and now having seen the pictures of the 110 I can of course heap further praise upon you.

Alas it is still not rendering unto me any inspiration to humbly attempt to emulate your Grace.

Yours from a prone position, the lowly serf.
eye4wings
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by eye4wings »

Another purpose of building models can be illustrated by my relating that one of my uncles, one Fred Hobbs, was employed by Handley Page where, as part of a small team, he built the first ever model of the Victor V-bomber. He explained to me in my youth, that it had not only to be perfectly scale in shape but weighted to reflect accurately the loading of the full-size aircraft. It was of course the wind tunnel test model.

He gave me a very brief view of it in the workshop where he worked - and I think he had some photographs of it too - although he died a long time ago and I have no idea what became of the pictures.

After his retirement he indulged his woodworking skills by building a violin, which was to a very high standard - unlike my own pathetic attempts at building experimental instruments based on guitar/mandolin/mandola.
hamish
Corporal
Corporal

Post by hamish »

My rather pitiful attempt at a 1/72 model. The paint job is appalling, but as it's acrylic, it will strip when I get a few more details of the specific aircraft I'm trying to build.
I might even save up enough bucks to buy an airbrush while I'm waiting.
Cheers! Hamish in rural Canada.
Attachments
stirlingmodel2.JPG
stirlingmodel2.JPG (143.84 KiB) Viewed 5157 times
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Hi Hamish,
There's absolutely nothing wrong with your Stirling at all. It's always difficult when we compare our efforts with others, but given the experience, equipment and time that some modellers have it's small wonder that we fail to match up in our own eyes!! I'm never satisfied with my own models, but crucially I'm learning all the time and always promise myself (like my rounds of golf!) that my next one will be better, if not the best. One thing I would point out though is that acrylics don't usually brush-paint very well. Some, like Vallejo, aren't too bad, but most, Tamiya especially, just don't cover smoothly or consistently. An airbrush is well worth the investment, but I'd recommend using enamels if you stick with brushes.
Regards
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
hamish
Corporal
Corporal

Post by hamish »

Thanks for the kind words Max. I certainly agree with you about the acrylic paint being difficult to brush on. This is the first time I've ever used it (in fact the last time I remember building any kind of aircraft model was back in about 1968, and that was a "balsa and tissue" thing). The "dope" I used on it was a lot easier IIRC!
Sensibly, an airbrush is the way to go, but chances of needing it for another project are slim to none.

I "think" I'm going to have to remove the dorsal turret anyway (looking more and more like Stirling Mk IV, LK 272 didn't have one) so there's a chance (excuse?) to strip it down.

My main modelling interests lie in fine "scratch built" scale model antique firearms, which don't require painting (color case hardening and blueing are easier :-)). Must admit that having the little lathe and miniature metal working tools are great, but it didn't take me too long to discover that when working with plastic, too much comes off too easily :-).

I was thinking about trying to build a 1/48 scale until I read this: http://630forum.websitetoolbox.com/post ... nextoldest - then I got scared. Do we have anyone else on the forum with experience on the Sanger models to throw in their two cents worth?

Grandson's high school graduation today, so I have to shut down early.

Thanks again and cheers! Hamish.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Be afraid, be very afraid LOL

John (K4kittycrew) on here beat the beast into submission, see here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=798

John L
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello Gents,

Hamish, as Max has said, it is very easy to compare but in truth, if each time you consider your current build to be slightly better than your last effort, you have achieved, not to mention that you may be making a particular model out of respect of a family / friend who may have flown such an aircraft. Regardless of each others skills, we all still marvel someone else's model .......... it is only natural.

The model you found on the 630 sqn site, is the same as John L. has pulled up from this forum. It was a real challenge and it still has many flaws BUT I proud of it because regardless of my skill level, I gave it my best efforts and I'm happy I did not throw it in the bin ( trust me, I really wanted to ).

Whatever model aircraft you decide to do next, you will find the members here will not only pass on advice, they will also give you much encouragement. I might be bias but we have a great core bunch of members here.

PS - My budget air brush is now selling for $60 AUD, which is pretty dam good. Many air brushes costs 2-3-4-5-600 hundred dollars .......... but my cheapie has been good.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
hamish
Corporal
Corporal

Post by hamish »

Thanks for the encouragement John. It's given me a new desire to improve it.

It's been many years since I worked in Australia and I see the dollars are now awful close to par, so maybe I can spring for it and buy me an inexpensive (read "cheap") airbrush. The old Scottish ancestry coming out - we have to keep up the image :) ! Maybe my good wife can use it in her scrapbooking/greeting card hobby?

For general interest, I remember the Australian bills being made from plastic years ago. Canada has finally caught up and their latest $100.00 and $50.00 are plastic now. I hope they stand up to the washing machine as well as the couple times my pants went through the laundry "down under" :)

I found the link to the Sanger "build" earlier and later found out it was the same one. There's so much information out there it's mind boggling and advancing years don't help any :) . As John mentioned, the reason I got started on this model was a desire to re-create the aircraft that my wife's uncle lost his life in. There's been a lot of family interest in the model, so I have to improve it now.

Do they still sell "Swan Lager" in WA? We still have the beach umbrella we picked up during a tour of the brewery. With our climate, it hasn't seen much use.

Cheers! Hamish.