Striling EH 933 Accident Report

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Striling EH 933 Accident Report

Post by K4KittyCrew »

James, would it be possible to remove all images, save them under a slightly different file name and re-post them?

All l can see is that the files are corrupt and if they are re-posted under the same file name, the system will recognize them as before.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi Bob/John

John - can you delete all my posts with the corrupted files in please? That would save me a lot of time trying to match them up again. My scans are too big to post so I will need to shrink them at work tomorrow. I'll just repost.

Bob - If you send me your address by IM I'll send you a CD with all the files on. If EH933 is the right aircraft for you then you have had a major stroke of luck for any researcher!

All - My prime interests in the files were for constructional details of the Stirling and if it wasn't N6012 then I tended to skip over the serial numbers. In fact, now that I look more closely, the data I have includes substantial data on other Stirling crashes, namely LK 517, EH 956, R9265 and EF 269!

My data on LJ 559 also contains much on LK499, so the amount of info has blossomed a little thanks to Bobs mail. I'll add another post after I have enumerated what number of pages relate to what - that way others searching will be able to find the info.

James
RobertBrown
Corporal
Corporal

Post by RobertBrown »

James (and John too)

Many thanks for your help with this.

James, I've sent a message which I hope reaches you OK.

Out of interest, and this is perhaps for another thread, John Kerry - who was killed when EH933 crashed - had two brothers who also died in the war, one of whom, Richard, was in Stirling BF330 BU-H, which was shot down in August 1942 some 30 km off the Dutch coast.

This time last week my knowledge of Stirlings extended little further than the box art of the original Airfix kit. With what I've learned over the past few days about my great uncles, I'm on something of a voyage of discovery.

Bob
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi Bob

I've refreshed the posts - you can see that you have a technical description of the crash but very little about the human element.

Your A/C seems to have triggered a general investigation into the structure of the Stirling as later documents show that they were comparing three different crashes. I'll summarise this for the Forum later.

I'm not sure how long you have been researching or how much you have gathered but there are many other documents that you can retrieve that will paint more of a picture. A brief précis:

* ORBs - states what the airfield was doing and what the sorties were, a diary if you will. Your relatives flight will be noted and any earlier sorties he may have made.
* Personal Crew Member record - You can get the full version if you are a relative
* AM1180 - a record of the crash by the airfield (as it was a non-combat flight) - shows other data relating to other forms generated including -
* AM765c - a more formal record of the crash
* AIB Report - Air Investigation Body - you may not find this but the files I'll send would cover most of it, this report would have assigned 'fault' I believe
* Personal Flight Log Book - You might have this - kept on the ground normally so it might have been requested by the family after his death - sadly most were eventually burnt.

That's a quick 5 minute summary, if are at the very start of your research and depending on how much more you want to know and how much effort you want to put in, there are more tips that you can have!

(I've sent you an IM but for some reason it may just sit in my 'outbox' - anyway your CD is on its way!)

James
RobertBrown
Corporal
Corporal

Post by RobertBrown »

James

Many thanks for the above, and for the disc which arrived this morning. I've already come across references on it to EH 933, EE 956, LK 517 and R 9265 (which all appear to have suffered a similar fate in mid-air) and (the seemingly unrelated) EH 947 and EH 960.

Interestingly, one of these aircraft went down not far from where I live and I'll let you know if I come across any further info.

Once agin, many thanks for your help.

Bob
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Many thanks James for your efforts in having members here on the forum.
Also great to see Bob acknowledge the efforts of James.
Always good to see a result.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

I also join to thank you James for all your great work.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
RobertBrown
Corporal
Corporal

Post by RobertBrown »

Just a quick follow-up to this. On the disc that James kindly sent, there is reference to another Stirling which crashed in similar circumstances to that of my great-uncle's (whose plane was EH 933) . . .

EE 956 came down not far from where I now live, so I looked into it a bit further. While I have not yet found any reference to the actual crash in the local papers of May 1944 (possibly because of reporting restrictions?) there is a Stirling Spinney to be found today on the A6 just west of Rothwell (near Kettering, Northants), close to where the crash occurred. The story which links the wood to EE 956 can be found at: http://www.doverwarmemorialproject.org. ... esAtoD.htm - under the name Coe, C. R.

There is also a piece at: http://www.nzbombercommand.co.nz/newsle ... 203-14.pdf - where the story at the bottom of page 6/top of page 7 may well relate to the crash of EE 956.

Bob