Crash Documents LJ 559, LJ 617, LK 499, LK 207

jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Crash Documents LJ 559, LJ 617, LK 499, LK 207

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Here is a review of the info I have on some Stirling crashes. Contact me for a copy.

LJ 559 - 71 + 25 Pages of reports and photos of damage to the A/C

LJ 617 - Elevator trim cables 7 pages with detailed calculations

LK 499 - 41 Pages of crash report, includes photos and drawings of structure and wreckage distribution

LK 207 - Precis of structural failure

James
bridgnorth
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Re: Crash Documents LJ 559, LJ 617, LK 499, LK 207

Post by bridgnorth »

James

Re. Stirling LK499

I would be very grateful if you could let me have copies of any documents you have in relation to the "flying accident" on Lee Moor on 12 Sep 1944.

I have read conflicting reports on the incident: civilian witnesses claiming the plane was on fire before it crashed and official comments suggesting that such was not the case.

My interest is derived from the fact that I am related to F/O Sam Wellington McGuigan. The only reports I've seen regarding the crew suggest that both the Navigator (Sam) and the pilot were only presumed dead. Indeed, Sam's widow (he was married for less than year) is still alive and the report she received from the RCAF was to the effect that he "was missing, presumed dead".

Any data you can send me would be very welcome. Should you incur any expense in doing so, I would be happy to reimburse you accordingly. I live in Lancashire.

My email address is johnemcguigan@aol.com

Thank you
John
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Hi John

I'll email you the information tonight, no costs involved, glad to help. It would be nice to hear more about your research as you progress. I'll put some pages on here so that other forumites can see roughly what the file contains.

I can't remember what is in the file so it will be pot-luck for you I'm afraid.

Cheers
James
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Hi John

Forgot to ask how much research you have done as there are other avenues that will tell you more about the crash. There would have been a full AIB (Air Investigation Board) report - but they burnt them all.....or most of them.

If you have just started do read this link:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2295

Let me know if you want to look deeper into the incident.

James
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Hi John

Email sent to you with invite to download from my Microsoft 'One Drive'. Apologies that the photos are not all in sharp focus, I was taking pictures at a massive rate and the camera was telling me that they were in focus!

Attached are some samples from the report (in jumbly random order for some reason...), there is no direct information about the crew except to criticise the Pilots experience and suggest that he put the aircraft into a dive that caused it to break up. A searchlight crew only heard the plane and saw flames on the ground only. From the reports on the steepness of the dive and the depth at which the engines were buried it is likely that there was little to be found in terms of human remains. I would think that the recovery of ID tags would be the only evidence that individuals were actually on board, perhaps the reason why they were considered 'missing'?

You may find other information on the relevant ORBs and possibly the 765c.

Cheers
James
Attachments
IMG_6883a.jpg
IMG_6883a.jpg (238.77 KiB) Viewed 21497 times
IMG_6856a.jpg
IMG_6856a.jpg (190.2 KiB) Viewed 21497 times
IMG_6855a.jpg
IMG_6855a.jpg (187.18 KiB) Viewed 21497 times
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Just wanted to acknowledge the work James has put in.
Well done, mate.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Philsmith
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Philsmith »

Dear John

Ref LK 499, If possible, please could you possible send any information on the crash of LK499 in regards to its location as I'm trying to pin point the crash site as Leemoor is a large area. My wife's great uncle was the tail gunner on that flight, he is currently at rest in Market Drayton Shropshire.

Kindest regards

Phil Smith.
Supra666
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Supra666 »

Hi

I've do a fair amount of research into this incident, and I know exactly where the site is on Lee Moor, I've applied for permission twice to carry out an excavation, but due to the fact two crew members are listed as missing, permission was denied.

If anyone wants more info, please contact me.

Kind Regards