RAF PoW's - Repatriation

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

RAF PoW's - Repatriation

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Here is a very good link ...... http://www.merkki.com/photo.htm .... about World War II - Prisoners of War - Stalag Luft I . If you click off the main photo, you can access the rest of the site. There are some fascinating photos and details.

Here is another link for which RAF crews returned to ............... http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcosford/aboutu ... istory.cfm

"A major RAF Hospital was added to the site in 1940 and towards the end of the war it was decided that repatriated RAF PoWs would be processed through RAF Cosford. Nos 106 and 108 Personnel Reception Centres were established and over 13,000 ex-PoWs had passed through RAF Cosford by 23 August 1948 when the units were eventually closed down."

Maybe members can add further links and details to this post.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: RAF PoW's - Repatriation

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Some photos and link to go with it.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
mikegunnill
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mikegunnill »

Would all RAF crews from German PoW camps get processed via RAF Cosford? Would files be made of those returning? Would those from one camp be sent back on mass or did some make there own way home?

The camp I am interested in was liberated , April 1945 and the men came from 51 Squadron.

Thx
MIKE GUNNILL

Upchurch, Kent. United Kingdom

www.upchurch-village.co.uk
www.bygonekent.org.uk
PeteT
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by PeteT »

These are some notes I made regarding the procedure
All RAF POW were met at the UK ports and airports where they were processed by embarkation officers who were responsible for their welfare and disposal. Processing included dis-infestation (if required), feeding and the provision of adequate clothing (if needed) and a pay advance.
They were provided with a pamphlet containing information regarding the reception centre and a welcome message from the King.

In addition, they were permitted to send a telegram / postcard stating "ARRIVED SAFELY, SEE YOU SOON"

If they were sick or wounded, they were transported to hospitals around the country (and “posted” to No 1 Personnel Holding Unit for administrative purposes). The remainder were transported to 106 Personnel Reception Centre (POW) at Cosford (See Note 1) where they were registered, medically examined, and provided with paperwork such as identity cards, ration cards and clothing coupons. The POW Liberation Questionnaires (held at the National Archives) were completed during this stage. If they were deemed medically fit they were granted 42 days leave .

Notes:

1. POW from Commonwealth countries were processed through other designated Reception Centres throughout the country
2. Leave, which was initially set at 28 days, was increased to 42 days in May 1945. In addition, a system of call ups and leave periods had to be introduced to cope with the volume of personnel and the number of available spaces at each centre.

After their leave period (See Note 2) they were required to return to Cosford to attend a medical board. If the board decided that they needed “toning up” they would be posted to No. 4 Medical Rehabilitation Unit (Cosford) before progressing to Stage III. If they did not need “toning up” they would proceed to Stage III.

1. To Refresher Centres, for all who expressed a wish to remain in Service and were medically fit (Four Centres No. 109 to No. 112)
2. To direct release, for those who wished to leave the RAF and were eligible to do so, and who could show that civil employment was actually available (via 104 PDC, Hednesford)
3. To Resettlement Centres, for those eligible for release but for whom no ready-made employment was available (Four Centres No. 113 to No. 116) based at Scarborough, Rugby, Ascot and Chorley.
4. To selected postings arranged by the Air Ministry

Hope this helps

Last edited by PeteT on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Researching:
CA Butler, flight engineer Lancaster ME334 (KIA over Bonn with 35 PFF on 4th Febuary 1945) http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/
Ground Crew and Aircrew Training WWII
"The History of No 35 Squadron" http://35squadron.wordpress.com/
mikegunnill
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mikegunnill »

PeteT

I am grateful that helps a great deal. My man after going thru ( your ) system was demobbed in May 1945. He arrived back in the country after April 15th. Was the process quick, leaving the camp?

Mike
MIKE GUNNILL

www.bygonekent.org.uk
PeteT
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by PeteT »

Mike

Unfortunately I do not have details on timings, but I am guessing that (a) it would have varied (b) they would have been processed "with haste" due to the sheer volume and the fact that men, having returned to the UK, would not want to sit through a long drawn out bureaucratic process
Researching:
CA Butler, flight engineer Lancaster ME334 (KIA over Bonn with 35 PFF on 4th Febuary 1945) http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/
Ground Crew and Aircrew Training WWII
"The History of No 35 Squadron" http://35squadron.wordpress.com/
mikegunnill
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mikegunnill »

Grateful for your help on this, thank you

Mike
MIKE GUNNILL

www.bygonekent.org.uk
mikegunnill
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mikegunnill »

PeteT

I have now received by documents from the National Archives. Another question, do you know where No 111 Interrogation Centre was/is, in the UK? My man on returning as a PoW from Germany went here and I think completed his General Questionnaire.

Regards

Mike
MIKE GUNNILL

www.bygonekent.org.uk