Lanc NG237, Lost 3/4/45 (Nordhausen)

Rab the hawk
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Re: Lanc NG237, Lost 3/4/45 (Nordhausen)

Post by Rab the hawk »

Hello everyone

I have some information to add to this thread. My uncle Arthur Bennett was the wireless operator in this crew. He had previously flown with Coastal command and I think he was stationed at Bridlington before being transferred to Bomber command. They were indeed a crew. The aeroplane was struck with lighting returning from Nordhausen and did loose a wing. I have a photograph of the crew. My. grandmother and my mother went to visit Sergeant Colliers mother and father who lived in Clydebank in Scotland he was an only son. According to my grandmother all the crew were Scottish except sergeant Ewington who came from Doncaster. This year my sister, elderly mother and aunt went to leopoldsburg to visit his grave for the first time, where they placed small heather plants at all he crews graves.

Regards

Robert
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Many thanks Robert, welcome to the forum.
l/we can assist in posting images etc, should you need a hand.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
LookingforGeorge
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by LookingforGeorge »

Hello, I really hope you can help me.

My father was evacuated to Glasgow at five years old from Alderney in the Channel Islands in advance of the Germans’ occupation. In Glasgow he was befriended by George Valentine who, as you know, was the Flight Engineer on this aircraft.

When George was killed in action my father was given a handkerchief by George’s mother. A handkerchief that she told my Dad George had on him when he died - he still has it. My father has never forgotten his ‘first real friend’ and I have recently traced George to Leopoldsburg War Cemetery, unfortunately my father is unable to make the journey to visit him.

I would be so grateful for any information you have about George. If you do have a photograph of the crew, I know it would mean so much to my Dad to see George again. You mention being in contact with Sergeant Colliers’ mother. Does anyone have any information about George Valentine’s family?

I really hope that someone can help with this, it would mean so much to my Dad who has talked to often and so fondly about George throughout his life. I think that for him to see him once more would be very special.

With best wishes.

Vanessa Main
ChipyNZ
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by ChipyNZ »

Hi All,

I trust you are all well. The link to this forum was provided to me by one of Sgt. McIntosh's Great Nephews. He was in fact the Mid-Upper Gunner and I am currently compiling an Aircrew Remembered Report for this crew. As such, I am very interested in the following:

@Rab the Hawk/Robert: I would be most interested to get in touch with you. In particular, obtaining a confirmed photo of the crew, and also finding out more about your Uncle Arthur Bennet.

@LookingforGeorge/Vanessa: I would also be most interested in where your research lead, and if you had anything further to contribute?

FYI, sadly, member "ianmacoz" has passed away since contributing to this post.

Please see the attached link which is the Aircrew Remembered Report for my Great Uncle - James Ross Copland. This is what I am currently working on for this crew. As such, any and all info in relation to this crew would be most appreciated! http://aircrewremembered.com/copland-james-ross.html

Thanks in advance and I will now try and contact the above named directly. This is my first time using this forum so am still finding my feet.

Thanks in advance,
Mike.
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Welcome Mike!
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
ChipyNZ
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by ChipyNZ »

Hi Bruno, thank you!