Inexperienced pilot error?

Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Inexperienced pilot error?

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Just had a closer look at the AM 1180 card that Steve sent me on my uncle's aircraft, 149 Squadron Stirling R9329, copy attached. It seems to point to the inexperience of the pilot in trying to fly under the bad weather as one of the causes of the crash. I've had a look at the ORB and the pilot in question, Geoffry Robertson, had flown 9 missions as a 2nd pilot and then a further 20 missions in his own right as a pilot. I know we're always learning but do you think that a pilot with 29 missions was inexperienced? Also on the CWGC listing for him his rank is shown as Pilot Officer but on the ORB he's listed as a sergeant. Would he have been postumously promoted?

Dave
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Inexperienced pilot error?

Post by halifax1 »

I feel the Pilot should have been given the benefit of the doubt. Possibly the aircraft was damaged. And it is quite possible that if that was not the reason there might well have been something else - maybe some damage to instruments - controls or even power? Seems rather a harsh comment.
Denonline
BC Veteran
BC Veteran

Post by Denonline »

They certainly are harsh comments especially in low cloud & bad weather circumstances.

In my opinion the pilot was very relatively well experienced with that nunber of hours.

My pilot Johnny was commissioned at the start of his tour with 61 squadron. He was never advised & completed his tour almost 6 months as an NCO. The CO of his next posting asked why he had not taken up his commission, this was all news to Johnny, He was immediately commissioned backdated to the promulgation date.

Dennis
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

I also thought it was a harsh comment paticularly as the aircraft was damaged over France and probably damaged by our anti aircraft guns as it flew over Plymouth (source M J F Bowyers book "The Stirling Bomber", he actually says it was shot down by British AA guns)

Dave
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

I also think that the pilot was now experienced (he had in more flown the Short Stirling in Heavy Conversion Unit) and well experienced when we know the very high rate of losses of 149 Squadron.
A question:
Can you read all the end of the explanation because after it is 'judged' that the pilot was inexperienced I can't read all of it is written. There's something about the Officer Commanding the Squadron (who was killed one week later).
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Hi Bruno

He's my transcript of the card. I've not been able to read a couple of the words:

“Ac flew into high ground catching fire, after returning from ops sortie where it was heavily engaged by ground defences & probably damaged.
O.C. Ac return would be made at low ht it would appear that allowance was not made for the rising ground.
A of C. Partly due to inexperienced pilot making ****? mistake of trying to fly under bad weather and partly due to the fact they should have been warned at briefing CC.O. ****? missing”

Dave
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hi Dave,

I thank you for the translation.
I've again read my docs and in 1942 29 missions were really high. For me it was like your uncle flew a second tour.
According to your translation, like you I can't understand the word 'inexperience'.
It is clear that there were far more problems than the pilot (bomber damaged, friendly fire from the Ground, bad weather, the return to base,...). How can they have been so hard with the Pilot?
I know a bit the story of 149 Squadron and I have had the chance to meet a Veteran of this Squadron (who is also a member of the Stirling Aircraft Society) so it is hard for me to read the word 'inexperience'.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

I've tried to clean it up a bit with Photobucket and reversed the image to a positive for your consideration:

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

Is it possible that it was not referring to the pilot being inexperienced but that he was inexperienced at flying under those conditions.
Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Kerry, very nice to hear from you mate. You make a very valid point.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"