Dambuster print

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: Dambuster print

Post by PAFG »

Hi Upkeep - I think that's right. The crews would only see the tracer. From a set of tactical notes (undated):
LIGHT FLAK. Guns are fully automatic using magazines, and fire self-destroying tracer shell with percussion fuse. A course and speed sight is fitted, which has a computing mechanism for working out deflections or an automatic tachymetric sight, and an optical range finder. This equipment enables fire to be opened on a visible target with reasonable accuracy, after which corrections are made by observation of tracer. These guns are highly manoeuvrable and can engage targets immediately they come in view and range; they rely for effect on rate and volume of fire and at heights below 2,500' are extremely lethal.'
Here's the Flakvierling 38 - 20mm calibre, mv 2950' per second, max horizontal range 5230 yards, mx ceiling 7200 (yards or feet not stated but probably feet), rate of fire 220 rounds per minute (but only 20 rounds in magazine).
P1060231 (365 x 600).jpg
P1060231 (365 x 600).jpg (54.65 KiB) Viewed 5454 times
Upkeep
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Upkeep »

Ah - so tracer but no bursts. Which would mean that The Dam Busters is not so off the mark after all maybe.

This is good stuff. I don't believe I've seen this subject discussed before. But it does mean the flak around the Mohne on my FSX system will need to be corrected :oops:
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi Richard,

Would the multi barrel 20mm flak gun as described detonated at a range of less than 500 yards and produce a burst of flak to a similar dimension as that shown in the painting? That is a awfully big burst for a 20mm shell. ;)

Just a question!

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Good question Steve! I don't think there's any mechanism for light flak to detonate at short range unless it hits something. As for size of burst - I've only seen/fired 30mm Rarden cannon, but it's surprisingly vicious when it reaches the far end :D

Got to go - a lot of reading to do!
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

I think it's just a case of "artistic licence" for dramatic effect, on behalf of the artist. In my mind, the flak bursts do not belong there, because of some of the technical facts that have been aired here.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

I would have thought that streams of tracer would look more dramatic than a few flak bursts.
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Hi,

Had a spare 10 minutes so googled paintings of the Dams operation. I was surprised how many artist show flak bursts, some directly over the Dam!! ( that takes some doing !).

When I visited the Dams a few years ago, I am sure that the defences were multi barrel 20mm to 40mm cannons and not monstrously large calibre 88mm, looking at some of the paintings the flak burst can only be 88’s they are huge!!

For me personally Mark Postlehwaites “Opening Shots” is the best by a country mile.
Attachments
postlethwaite-dambusters.jpg
postlethwaite-dambusters.jpg (72.32 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
The Nomads
Upkeep
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Upkeep »

Working on my FSX flak now. From the figures that Richard provided for the 20mm flak gun, I think I see it firing approximately 3 shells a second, at a mv of approximately 3000ft/sec. Which would mean that the tracer shells from a single gun would end up about 1000ft apart (which is a lot further apart than shown on many illustrations). And in bursts of 20 shells, given the magazine limitations. Any idea of the reload time ?
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

20mm Vierling guns firing the infamous "flaming onions" surely?! So Mark Postlethwaite's painting is the most accurate?
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Hi Max,

For me it is the best painting I like the impression of speed and the way the light flak arch's away, the moon and the silhouette of the Lanc in the background . Only my opinion !

Steve
The Nomads