The sad demise of the forums

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
PeteT
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

The sad demise of the forums

Post by PeteT »

Tomorrow marks the second anniversary of the last post that was added to this thread.

When I started my research about five years ago, the forums were an excellent way of learning about new subjects or for supplementing information gained about aircraft losses, crews or airmen. Information was grouped together in a thread which could be easily accessed and found again at a later date.

Nowadays, social media provides the point of access for enquiries, with requests posted all over the place and, if you ever want to find the information again, it is nigh on impossible.

...... so, just a new post to mourn the sad demise of the forums
Researching:
CA Butler, flight engineer Lancaster ME334 (KIA over Bonn with 35 PFF on 4th Febuary 1945) http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/
Ground Crew and Aircrew Training WWII
"The History of No 35 Squadron" http://35squadron.wordpress.com/
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The sad demise of the forums

Post by Bruno »

Hello Pete,

I can only agree :(
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Agreed with the comments.

As most will know, l've spent a number of years researching bomber command but about two years ago, between work and health issues, not to mention a drain on my time, l took an enforced break from researching & finding details for people, who don't really appreciate the efforts researchers go to find information for someone who has made a inquiry.

Hopefully, its just a lull and we can fire back up for the future.
We need to thank people like Bruno who has stayed the distance and persevered.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi John,

Glad to see you are back.

You were missed mate. Thankfully Bruno did a great job in your absence.

Onwards and upwards.

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thanks Steve,
Nice to hear from you again, mate.
I'll see if l can introduce some more material.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Ludford101
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Ludford101 »

Just catching up on posts and can only echo the comments made I too find it more and more difficult these days to keep popping into the forum as much and should do better !! there are always a great bunch of people willing to help out with enquiries :) and I only hope that this forum stands the test of time....

Gary
Motto :Mens agitat molem - 'Mind over matter'.

Welfare Secretary 101 Squadron Association
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

I wonder these days if one of the reasons is the prolific number of facebook pages which are dedicated to all types of aspects of Bomber Command etc, that make it easier to find information, i found myself drawn to several good ones in my efforts to answer requests on them, but lately have found some of them a little tiresome because of the amount of people on them who pass on what i call "false information" with me putting them straight The forum i run for 50/61sqdn Assoc went quiet for a while but is starting to pick up now, so fingers crossed that the same happens here.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

I think that I must be a dinosaur because I love the forums and although I do use Facebook groups they just aren't the same. Forums tend to be for dedicated enthusiasts where as group threads frequently descend into immature squabbling and name calling. Maybe I'm just getting old and am starting to hanker after "the old days". After all, the cars I grew up with are now classics, and the aircraft of my youth are in museums. My first computer was a ZX81 and the internet did not exist, so to me forums are still new tech... how on earth can they be becoming obsolete?
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.