Looking for Info - Gunner, Short Stirling

kameraman
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Looking for Info - Gunner, Short Stirling

Post by kameraman »

Hello All, my name is David Brewin, I am the son of Maurice Edward Brewin. He was a gunner on the Short Sterling aircraft stationed in Italy, India and I believe was involved in the D-Day invasion. the reason for my becoming a member of this forum is to try and gather information on my father. He was never one to talk about his war years. All he would say was he saw some horrific things that he would rather not speak of. He is now 95 years old and living in a nursing home in Surrey British Columbia Canada. He immigrated to Montreal, Canada in 1955 with my Mother, Dorothy Grace Skinner who was also a member of the RAF.
I have searched for many years trying to locate something, anything that would tell me something of my fathers war or RAF years but have always come up empty. Is there anyone out there that can help me? I don't have any numbers, rank or ID to go by, just his name Maurice Edward Brewin. By the way, he also had a brother, Robert Brewin that also belonged to the RAF but he never saw him again after 1950.
One other question I have. Does the RAF or British Government offer any kind of pension to its former members? Just curious because nor my mother or father ever received a penny after they served.
I hope to hear from someone regarding my search. Please feel free to email me at my home address of debrewin 'at' telus.net ....... edited by John ( replace 'at' with @, no spaces )

I live in Langley, British Columbia, Canada

Thank you for your time, Dave Brewin
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Looking for Info - Gunner, Short Stirling

Post by K4KittyCrew »

kameraman wrote:Hello All, my name is David Brewin, I am the son of Maurice Edward Brewin. He was a gunner on the Short Sterling aircraft stationed in Italy, India and I believe was involved in the D-Day invasion. the reason for my becoming a member of this forum is to try and gather information on my father. He was never one to talk about his war years. All he would say was he saw some horrific things that he would rather not speak of. He is now 95 years old and living in a nursing home in Surrey British Columbia Canada. He immigrated to Montreal, Canada in 1955 with my Mother, Dorothy Grace Skinner who was also a member of the RAF.
I have searched for many years trying to locate something, anything that would tell me something of my fathers war or RAF years but have always come up empty. Is there anyone out there that can help me? I don't have any numbers, rank or ID to go by, just his name Maurice Edward Brewin. By the way, he also had a brother, Robert Brewin that also belonged to the RAF but he never saw him again after 1950.
One other question I have. Does the RAF or British Government offer any kind of pension to its former members? Just curious because nor my mother or father ever received a penny after they served.
I hope to hear from someone regarding my search. Please feel free to email me at my home address of debrewin 'at' telus.net ....... edited by John ( replace 'at' with @, no spaces )

I live in Langley, British Columbia, Canada

Thank you for your time, Dave Brewin
Welcome to the forum Dave............. l've edited your email address to stop spam going to you.

Your father, my father ( and probably many others ) share a number of things together.
Just to name a couple .........
Your father was gunner, so too mine.
Your father wouldn't talk about it, so too mine.

My father flew with the RAAF on Stirlings and Lancasters. The RAAF pensioned all excrew.
From what I'm told by Dennis, an ex RAF rear gunner and forum member, the RAF ex crews receive nothing. They even got demoted at the end of the war.
The Australian govt promoted all crews to a minimum rank of Flying Officer on return to our shores.

We will endeavor to assist you with whatever records we have.
Is there any way we can find out what squadron he was posted too ............... number or name of place?
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
kameraman
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by kameraman »

Hi John and thanks for your prompt reply. I thought as much regarding the pension but I just thought I'd ask. Unfortunately I have no numbers or rank. Only that he was stationed in Italy, India and was at Normandy during D-day. I wish I had more but even if I asked him, he wouldn't remember. AS mentioned, he is now 95 living out the balance of his years in a retirement home and hardly remembers yesterday.
Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks again and have a good day

Dave Brewin
Pat Atkins
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Pat Atkins »

The best way forward is undoubtedly to apply to the RAF for your father's service records. Once you have them, you'll be able to flesh out his war service.

In the absence of further hard-and-fast information, perhaps worth considering that as well as a conventional bomber role Stirlings were used as glider tows on D Day and afterwards (e.g. Operation Market Garden, etc), often deriving from Special Duties squadrons. There was at least one Stirling in occasional service with 148 (SD) Squadron based at Brindisi, Italy, in 1944-45, and 624 (SD) Sqdn briefly used them from Blida in North Africa. I don't know anything about Stirlings in India/SE Asia though, I'm afraid, so can't help there.

Cheers, Pat
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello gentlemen, with no knowledge of squadron or time frame, Pat's advice is the best way to go.
Obtain your fathers' ORB's to gain the relevant information.

As an example of Operational Record Books, I have have attached my fathers ops so you can see the type of detail you may expect.
Information did vary from squadron to squadron but as a whole, the crew details were mostly as listed.
John
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1439
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"