WE Stobbs

Guysan
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

WE Stobbs

Post by Guysan »

Hello, I am new to this forum so please excuse my long winded request. I have the medals to 658070 Sgt. William Edward Stobbs, lost with his crew on the night of 5th July 1943 while engaged in mining operations off of the Frisian Islands

The crew were flying in Stirling Mk111 EF436 AA-A of 75 Squadron

I have checked the squadron ORB records of operations and summaries of crew movements etc for the periods March to July 1943 but can find no trace of this crew being posted to the squadron, am I missing something?

Many thanks if anyone can suggest or point me in another direction

Guysan
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: WE Stobbs

Post by AlanW »

Guysan, Not all ORB's listed the postings in and out, but...if, he was posted in with his crew which is very likely, then according to the file of the Aussie in the crew, (410555 C.J. Moore ) it was on 1st July 43, from 1657 Conversion Unit. Before this, they were at 29 OTU, where they would have crewed up together.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Guysan
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Guysan »

AlanW

Many thanks for this - it makes it sadder that after all their training this appears to be a loss on their first sortie.

As an aside I have bout 50 groups and a lot of research including pdf copies of squadron ORBS, if it would be of use to any of the site users (and assuming I am technically adept enough!). I am always available to run checks or upload information that I hold.

Once again many thanks for your help

kind regards

Guysan
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Many thanks Alan for your details.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Guysan wrote:AlanW

Many thanks for this - it makes it sadder that after all their training this appears to be a loss on their first sortie.

As an aside I have bout 50 groups and a lot of research including pdf copies of squadron ORBS, if it would be of use to any of the site users (and assuming I am technically adept enough!). I am always available to run checks or upload information that I hold.

Once again many thanks for your help

kind regards

Guysan
We are always interested in related details such as ORB's etc.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"