SHORT STIRLING AIRCRAFT & CREW PHOTOGRAPH'S

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: SHORT STIRLING AIRCRAFT & CREW PHOTOGRAPH'S

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Colin & Dave, I posted a thread on this the other day.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1726
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

Great picture "Pilotdreamer" ....not seen that one before! :D

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Pilotdreamer wrote:
580223_163776653745960_1993861124_n.jpg
Very unique photo indeed ................ thanks for posting it.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Johnny'sDaughter
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Johnny'sDaughter »

K4KittyCrew wrote:Not sure if we have this one already. if so, it has now been resized for a better look at the crew faces.
John
Last edited by Johnny'sDaughter on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny'sDaughter
Corporal
Corporal

I have this exact, same photo and some in colour. That's my Dad, front row, left, at the very end. John (Johnny) Williams.

He mentioned once that some Stirlings were buried under concrete in Ireland. If so could they be dug out? Can only hope. Sadly Dad has passed away now so I can't ask him any more about what he said.

Be nice if anyone from 295 Squadron is still out there and who may have worked alongside Dad (ground crew) - 1943 onwards.
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

Hello Johnny,s daughter,

Did your father mention a location for the buried Stirlings? I doubt they were buried intact but, would still be of use to the Stirling project even if they are in pieces.

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
Johnny'sDaughter
Corporal
Corporal

No, unfortunately it was one of those throw away remarks and I never had a chance to follow it up. I have a map showing locations of Bomber squadron airfields in N.Ireland but could be any one of those. I wondered if any other survivors of 295 were still around as they might also remember.
I know when my daughter was working at RAF Museum she found records of Stirlings in India but it looks like they were all set on fire just to get rid of them! Awful.

Cheers, Sue
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Sue and welcome to the forum. I hope we can assist you with some detail regarding your father. If you have any photos or logbook details, we can also help with posting them, should you wish to.
i love it when members find photos of relatives and alike on forum photos .............. makes it all worthwhile.
Cheers,
John
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Here are a few more photos.
John
Johnny'sDaughter
Corporal
Corporal

Hello John,
It was more of a shock as we were just discussing Bomber Command in the office (not sure why now!) so I Googled 295 Squadron and within a minute there was my Dad staring out of the screen!! I have this photo plus a couple of others. I have some already scanned onto my computer here as have previously posted them on another Stirling site. I also have a fabulous one of the day we went to St Athan's to see the Lanc rolled out after its overhaul. They let my Dad join the veterans day because it was a 70th birthday treat! They were a lovely bunch of people there.
Dad never talked enough about his time in RAF but my daughter researched his service record for me whilst she was working at RAF Museum London. I have his full record now and it's quite interesting.
I had hoped there were some ground crew 295ers still around but as dad would be 88 this year, the chances become slim.

Cheers,
Sue