Low Level Flying ......

AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: Low Level Flying ......

Post by AlanW »

Seconds from death, the crew of 21sqdn Blenheim V6034, 16/06/41, after colliding with the mast of the ship they were attacking. According to Chorleys, this was a crew that gained a reputation for showing outstanding courage in low level attacks on enemy shipping. All were killed, ........
F/Sgt E.A.R . Leavers, DFM.
Sgt I. Overhue, DFM RNZAF.
Sgt J.W.H. Phelps.
Found on IWM, while looking for 21sqdn info.
Attachments
V6034 16 6 41.jpg
V6034 16 6 41.jpg (62.93 KiB) Viewed 9626 times
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

V6034 16 6 41 (1)1.jpg
V6034 16 6 41 (1)1.jpg (25.75 KiB) Viewed 9618 times
When i first viewed this image, i could not determine what was transpiring. I thought that the Blenheim was surrounded by other a/c or birds? When you view the stricken bomber close up, the Blenheim is disintegrating in mid air. The objects that are near the doomed bomber appear to be, the tail plane, outer port wing and maybe debris from the ship. I would imagine this image is a still from a RAF film?

The Pilot of the other distant a/c appears to be lined up for his attack, hugging the waves as he approaches his target. He has just witnessed a truly unnerving set of events but,... he must stay focused,......a lapse of concentration now and their in the drink.

Thanks for posting Alan.

'Sleep in the pure driven sand,
(No one will know)
In the coral isle by the land
Where the blue tides come and go.
'Alive, thou wert poor, despised;
Dead, thou canst have
What mightiest monarchs have prized,
An eternal grave!
'Alone with the lovely isles,
With the lovely deep,
Where the sea-winds sing and the sunlight smiles,
Thou liest asleep!'

Francis William Lauderdale Adams
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Tom, I actually thought this aircraft was moving away from the ship, thus leaving debris as it hurtled pass but on closer inspection, I think you are correct. My only thought being that this may be captured footage from a German crew. Why would the aircraft be attacking the Royal Navy? ........... unless the pilot was playing up and clipped the ship as it went passed but i think we have ascertained that the aircraft was still approaching and was being shot at ? Your thoughts?
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi John,
What makes you think it's the RN. Definatley going away from the camera. I thought it was approaching but after cleaning up and looking at it more closely, you can see the trailing edge of the wing behind the engines.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

Hi Alan & John
After closer inspection of the image, i agree..... the Blenheim is definitely moving away from camera. It is possible the plume of water at the stern of the ship,.... is in fact the weapon strike from the doomed plane?

Its hard to say if the source of the image is from another a/c or one of the ships? To me, the angle the picture was taken at does not correspond with one being snapped from the ship in the foreground but,.... may have been filmed from another?
It might possibly be a frame from gun camera footage of an attacking a/c?...there may be some clues on the border of the original picture.

The ships rear mast in the image,......appears to show visible signs of impact damage,...with a debris field following the same trajectory as the unfortunate Blenheim.

Rgds NM
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

NM said ......
I would imagine this image is a still from a RAF film?

Hi Alan and Tom, I thought Tom was implying that that this footage was RAF ......... obviously I was wrong on two counts! I should have stayed with my first impression, that the aircraft was in fact flying away. When I'm hot, I'm hot but when I'm not ........ it's freezing in here!
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Some very low level flying, here ............
John
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

A SAAF Martin Marauder shot down at low level over Italy 1944. There were no survivors.
Source http://www.raf.mod.uk/news.cfm?storyid=DB90CF96-1143-EC82-2EAED1EC14983B75I
Source http://www.raf.mod.uk/news.cfm?storyid=DB90CF96-1143-EC82-2EAED1EC14983B75I
Marauder.jpg (29.83 KiB) Viewed 9546 times
With thanks to "Night warrior" and "Fredsson" from the Lancaster archive forum.

Rgds Tom
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Here is a mean looking Bristol Beaufighter. Looks like a rocket launcher on the star board is bent.
John
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

And another.
John