No: 38 Group RAF Photo Collection

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

No: 38 Group RAF Photo Collection

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thought I'd start a photo collection of No: 38 Group RAF ................... some we have seen before but maybe one or two new ones on offer. Feel free to add your photos from this group.
John
I've cropped this one and enlarged it .......
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No: 38 Group RAF Photo Collection

Post by Bruno »

Hi John,

This is Christmas! :D
Thanks very much.
I'll be on Holidays at mid August. I'll try to add some.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
voicebox
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by voicebox »

Hello there,

First of all, I am new to this terrific site and I am posting a photograph which I am sure will interest fellow members of this forum.
My father Fred Rawnsley was a Corporal in 295 Squadron from 1942 until the end of hostilities. Not waiting to be 'called up' he volunteered and joined the RAF in 1940.
He was first stationed at RAF Sealand, then RAF Netheravon, RAF Harwell and then finally, RAF Rivenhall. He was part of the ground crew who were responsible for packing parachutes, dinghies, flares and all other emergency life saving equipment into the aircraft.The photograph below was taken beside LK246 (formally LK128) which was the CO, Wing Commander H.E. Angell's aircraft. I am not sure if it was taken at RAF Harwell or RAF Rivenhall, although I do know that H.E. Angell had his promotion confirmed on the 3rd of October 1944, so I suspect it could be RAF Rivenhall as the Squadron were transferred there in October 1944 - on the other hand, I may be wrong - perhaps someone might enlighten me! My father is on the right, at the end of the back row - wearing spectacles! Is there anyone who might know the names of the other personnel?
Thank you for your help.
Best wishes,
John Rawnsley (voicebox)
RAF Fred Rawnsley2b.jpg
RAF Fred Rawnsley2b.jpg (220.26 KiB) Viewed 8843 times
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

This will be Rivenhall, as LK246 was not on 295sqdn strength at Harwell, and first appears in ORB on 29th November 44. Can i ask as to how you believe that LK246, was formally LK128, as (i stand to be corrected) aircraft were given their own serial at manufacture, that stayed with them.
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
voicebox
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by voicebox »

Hi AlanW
Thank you for your reply.
Regarding LK246 (formally LK128) I had the same thought as you, and I was more than a little confused, but please click on this link: http://www.207squadron.rafinfo.org.uk/angell/CO295.htm

Wait!
My mistake, I think I have misread the bottom photograph at http://www.207squadron.rafinfo.org.uk/angell/CO295.htm - it looks as though LK128 might be in the background, the information under the picture 'Airframe nos.: LK128 and later LK246' is slightly misleading!

Meanwhile, here is a photo of the same aircraft alongside my father's great wartime friend Percy Humphries, who would become known to all our family as 'Uncle Percy'!
RAF Percy Humphries 1944 copy2.jpg
RAF Percy Humphries 1944 copy2.jpg (208.11 KiB) Viewed 8830 times

My apologies to all!!

Happy Christmas.
John.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello John and welcome to the forum. I'm writing this from my iPhone but when l get back after Xmas, l'll look into things on my computer.
Cheers,
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
voicebox
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by voicebox »

HI John,

Any news??

voicebox
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello John ................ I afraid I've let a few slip through to the keeper, yours included John but I will endeavour to make amends over this long weekend.
John
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello John,

I've done a few searches so far and cannot add any further details than what Alan has already provided.
I have enlarged the two photos, with credits listed ............. to help member and guest identify people in the photos.
I have purposely uploaded these images through the standard processes but have not placed it inline........... as opposed to through 'photobucket'.
Be sure to click on a photo to see the whole image
I will add further details as they come to hand.
Cheers,
John
Attachments
Slide2.JPG
Slide2.JPG (181.65 KiB) Viewed 8730 times
Slide1.JPG
Slide1.JPG (117.25 KiB) Viewed 8730 times
voicebox
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by voicebox »

Hi John,

I hope you had a jolly time during Australia Day!
Thanks for posting the pictures - and for the credit, great stuff!
I hope there is a relative or two of the other personnel out there, it would be terrific if someone could put a few names to the faces - especially the lady standing to the right of my father, with her hand on the shoulder of the chap in front of her - they look as though they might have been an 'item'!
My elder brother would have helped me with all this because he knew more about dad's RAF record, but sadly he died suddenly in August 2013.
I do know that he had quite a few photographs of 295 Squadron, but I will give his widow a little more time before I begin making enquiries.
All good wishes,
John.