Operation Mallard

Al Newman
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Operation Mallard

Post by Al Newman »

Hello

I'm looking for some help please. Could anyone either give me, or direct me to where I can find the squadron numbers, serial numbers and chalk marks of any of the Stirling and Horsa pairings used during Operation Mallard.

Information on any squadron would be appreciated. Dan Taylor of Dan Taylor Model works was kind enough to send me the following numbers for aircraft from 299 Squadron.

5GoC LJ896
5GoK LK241
5GoL LK544
5GoM LJ669
5GoP LJ239
5GoQ LJ956
5GoY LK287
5GoV LK284
V9oC LJ829
X9oU LK135
X9oY LK153

Thank you.
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Operation Mallard

Post by Bruno »

Hello and welcome Al,

Four 38 Group Squadrons equipped with the Short Stirling towed gliders on Operation Mallard. The other gliders were towed by other types of aircraft.
190 Squadron: 18 aircraft,
196 Squadron: 17 aircraft,
299 Squadron: 18 aircraft,
620 Squadron: 18 aircraft.
I've the possibility to give you some serials but it'll take some time.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Welcome to the forum Al.

I am not sure what you are doing with the information, but I would certainly be interested in seeing the final result of your research!

My father flew with 299 Squadron in Short Stirling Mk IV's during Mallard. I have researched his life and list the following relevant facts and quotes from him for you. He is still very much alive, and his long term memory appears intact, although perhaps a little fanciful after all these years! I have posted pictures of his crew elsewhere on this forum albeit earlier in the war in front of a Stirling III. I do ask that if you (or anyone else) use any of these that a credit is given to him out of courtesy.

5th Jun FROM ORB (Squadron Operations Record Book)
Operation Tonga, a/c "P" take-Off 23.50, landed 04.05. 20 Troops and 9 containers successfully dropped on drop zone "N".
CREW:
S/Ldr P.J. Dale. F/Sgt C.A. Watkins. W/O L.G. Grant.
Sgt R. Newton. P/O B. Massey. P/O J.D. Thomson.

6th Jun Quote from P/O Massey's Logbook, “Mallard, took off from Keevil at 19.20hrs with Horsa glider in tow with elements of 6th Airborne Division. Glider landed ok. Flight time 3hrs.”

FROM ORB
June 6th 44, Operation Mallard, a/c "P" take off 19.18, landed 22.21. Glider with 14 troops successfully towed to drop zone, glider pilot Lt Sykes.
CREW as 5th Jun

"D-Day was supposed to be a secret, but everyone knew that it was about to happen and were sworn to secrecy, you cannot move that quantity of men and equipment without it being common knowledge, especially with all the specially prepared aircraft and training going on. It's a wonder the enemy never got wind of it!"
Flying over the channel at low level on the 6th June, towing our Horsa, I had a wonderful view from my rear turret. The sea was full of ships and we were surrounded by hundreds of aircraft. We were all nervous before take off, thinking that the enemy would be throwing everything they had at us and that fighter opposition was certainty. As it was, the actual mission was fairly un-eventful with only light flack encountered. We didn't see any enemy aircraft at all! It was only years after that we realised what a huge piece of history we were witnessing." B.M.

I hope the above helps a little, it certainly paints a picture!

Best wishes

Guy Massey
Attachments
Extract from P/O B Massey's Logbook June 1944
Extract from P/O B Massey's Logbook June 1944
Log Jun 44.jpg (175.22 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
Al Newman
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Al Newman »

Bruno/Guy
Thank you for the warm welcome. I’ve always been interested in glider operations since watching the Longest Day as boy. Now I’m somewhat older I decided to build the Airfix Horsa Glider and a Tug, deciding on the Stirling more because I like the look of the aircraft than any other reason.
Guy thank you for the information about your father, always fascinating real accounts of action.
Bruno for the reasons above I only need any Stirling/ Horsa pairing numbers from Operation Mallard not all the aircraft that took part thank you.

Many thanks Al.