Stirling lost 3-3-1945?

Kevin Buckmaster
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Stirling lost 3-3-1945?

Post by Kevin Buckmaster »

Hi there, I am looking for any information on a Stirling from 299 (or maybe196) Squadron lost on or about 3rd March 1945. The father of a lady I know was lost on this flight
just before she was born. Any information would be greatly appreciated, Kevin Buckmaster
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: Stirling lost 3-3-1945?

Post by AlanW »

Kevin, welcome to the forum. Could you let us have a little more information, as to the name of the airman in question. This will help pinpoint the exact aircraft. One possible, could be 299sqdn Stirling LJ996, 5G-W, lost on an operation to Norway on 2/3rd March 45. All crew are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.
F/O E.G. Hull.
W/O D.K. Jordan.
F/Sgt B.W. Harris.
F/Sgt R. Rome.
W/O A.T. Wainwright.
F/Sgt J.M. Murray.

Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Kevin Buckmaster
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Kevin Buckmaster »

A Big Apology to Alanw for not acknowledging your information! A combination preparing for an extension to be built, putting things away in safe places etc. has left my research basically abandoned for a year apart from a visit to Runnymede. I plan a visit to the PRO at Kew soon to see if they have any more info. The lady I mentioned previously was the daughter of
F/Sgt Rome. Again apologies and thank you,
Kevin
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Welcome back Kevin - I hope the building works went okay, never a pleasant experience!

Richard