7T - P, No 196 Squadron

markjones980
Corporal
Corporal

7T - P, No 196 Squadron

Post by markjones980 »

Hello All

I'm posting this request because I'm trying to help a work collegue find some info on a particular Stirling in which his Father flew as a Tail Gunner.
He has a photograph of his Father with some of the crew, stood in front of 7T - P. From this I know he was with No 196 Sqn at that time.
Is there anyway by means of publication and/or website, that I could find out which A/C carried that particular code?
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: 7T - P, No 196 Squadron

Post by AlanW »

Hi,
Can you tell us the name of your friends father. I do have some pages from the 196sqdn ORB for the 1944-45 period.
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
markjones980
Corporal
Corporal

Post by markjones980 »

AlanW wrote:Hi,
Can you tell us the name of your friends father. I do have some pages from the 196sqdn ORB for the 1944-45 period.
Alan.
Hiya
My friends Fathers name was Flt Sgt George Hague. I hope this is of help.

Mark
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Mark,

If you have any further details, we would very much like to hear of / see some of them. You can 'PM' and I give you my email address. I and or other members here can upload them if that is of help.
Regards,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Mark,
I'll try to look through the files sometime over the weekend and get back to you.
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
markjones980
Corporal
Corporal

Post by markjones980 »

Thanks Gents

Before I post any more info, as you will appreciate, I will have to get permission from my work colleague as it is his relation. I cant see a problem but i'll do him the courtesy of asking.

Mark
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hi,

About 196 Squadron there's this page on the 38 Group Website:
http://www.raf38group.org/196squadron
Does your work colleague have the Logbook of his father?
As John told you, if your colleague is OK we can help you to publish the photo because there are 196 Squadron's Veterans in the Stirling Aircraft Society that could be on the photo.
I have some documents about 196 Squadron so I expect I'll can help you.
Best regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bob Wilton »

Whilst trawling for information I think I have solved the identification of the A/C in question. I have found this information from a thread onb the internet.

Bob

Quoting from "Combat Codes" by Vic Flintham & Andrew Thomas :
'5T' was carried out by No. 233 Squadron's Dakota III, March 1944 to December 1945, eg. KG403/5T-UQ, Dakota IV, same period, eg KJ844/5T-T.

"Squadron Codes" by Michael J.F. Bowyer & John D.R. Rawlings, gives the same for No. 233 Squadron and the codes ZO, D4 and 7T to No. 196 Squadron, eg Stirling IV LK428 ZO-B, Stirling V PJ912 ZO-L. There's no confirmation for D4 in the main body of the book (D4 was confirmed for 620 Squadron, so we're still in the same area of Stirlings and airborne ops), while 7T is confirmed for 196 : "It is not believed that the code 7T was used until circa April 1944 but was retained until disbandment in March 1946, eg, Stirling IV EF429 7T-P, Stirling V PJ912 7T-L.
As it appears from this quote, Stirling V PJ912 flew with two different Squadron codes, but retained the same individual letter.

"Combat Codes" confirms 7T and ZO for 196 Squadron, D4 for 620.
Dicam ex animo. Sed nostri evocatis, ut debemus eis libertatem.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Further to Bob's details ............ These details come from The Stirling Stirling by Micheal JF Bowyer, page 367.

EF429 ____ R/214 Sqn 13th May 43, R/620 Sqn 19th June 43, FA ( flying accident ) 16th Sept 43, wheels up landing at Newmarket, RIW ( repaired in works ) Sebro 28th Sept 43 and cv ( converted ) Mk IV, 6MU 24th Mar 44, 7T-P/ 196 Sqn 19th May 44, 23 MU 9th Feb 46, SOC ( struck off charge ) 5th Jun 47.

Footnote - The letter 'R' in front of the squadron code, ie: R/214 Sqn ............. was the aircraft letter, in this case, R for Richard / Roger / Rita and so on.

Bob mentioned .......
As it appears from this quote, Stirling V PJ912 flew with two different Squadron codes, but retained the same individual letter.
From the same book .......... an aircraft may be listed with details as an example .......... E7 - K/570 Sqn ............ where squadrons used two sets of squadron identity letters, these appear, when known for certain. Bomber squadrons had a second letter used by the third or 'C' Flight Transport squadrons had two squadron identity letter allocations because they held so many aircraft.

John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
markjones980
Corporal
Corporal

Post by markjones980 »

Firstly, thank you for the information above, its brilliant. Secondly I'm sure my friend wouldnt mind you adding the following two images to your files.
My Friends Father is third from the right - Flt.Sgt. G. Hague,Rear Gunner.
second from right is - P/O P.M. Pascoe, Pilot.
other crew members include P/O G. Hassell, Navigator
P/O J.R. Parry, Bomb Aimer
Flt. Sgt. P.G. Vergo, Wireless Operator

Another shot