Spammers and Forum

General announcements.
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spammers and Forum

Post by Bruno »

Hello all,

More than 200 spammers try to register each day on the Forum and so the server which hosts our Forum has sometimes some troubles and some errors can appear. Even if the server is a professional one I think that this is probably due to too much spammers trying to register at the same time.
I'm working on it.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
Kind regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Spammers and Forum

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Bruno, we are the ones who feel sorry for you. That must be an ongoing frustration to have to remove that amount of garbage each day.
Thank you for your efforts, they are appreciated.

members Please Note - Be very careful in posting your email addresses on the forum. Use the 'PM' box to send such details to a member .........and at least replace the '@' with 'at'.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hi John,

Thanks to other Forums' admins I have changed the way to register (by now having to type a word as an answer to a question) and only one spammer in one week succeeded to register...but was countered by an other program!
I go on my fight.
Regards.

Bruno
www.raf38group.org
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Bruno,
Your efforts are much appreciated by all on the forum. We beat the spammers on the 50/61sqdn forum, by channeling new posts via me to approve first, before posting. Works 100%, and we've been spam free for a long time.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

AlanW wrote:Bruno,
Your efforts are much appreciated by all on the forum. We beat the spammers on the 50/61sqdn forum, by channeling new posts via me to approve first, before posting. Works 100%, and we've been spam free for a long time.
Bruno,

Must agree with Alan, your hard work and dedication is highly regarded by all.

Good job well done mate !

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

I thank you very much for your comments.
Yesterday when I contacted the technical service of the website, they told me that they had to shut down the connection to the 38 Group website's Guestbook because there were hundreds of attacks per second!!!!!
I'll go on the fight.
Regards.

Bruno
www.raf38group.org
PeteT
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by PeteT »

I notice that some forums have introduced "verification letters and numbers" for each posting, presumably to try and alleviate the problems that you are experiencing. I hope a solution can be found so that you don't have to spend your time on this matter, so that we can enjoy the forum; your efforts are much appreciated.

Regards

Pete
Researching:
CA Butler, flight engineer Lancaster ME334 (KIA over Bonn with 35 PFF on 4th Febuary 1945) http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/
Ground Crew and Aircrew Training WWII
"The History of No 35 Squadron" http://35squadron.wordpress.com/
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

I thank you again for all your comments.
A program has been created to prevent most of the spammers from registering but some have to be deleted.
The problem these days was that the hosting of the website (which is surely one of the biggest in Europe!) didn't want to update their version of Php and they so did a major update which was too strong in one time.
Regards.

Bruno
www.raf38group.org