Welcome!

General announcements.
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome!

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

We welcome you on the Official Forum of the Stirling Aircraft Society.
To avoid spammers and hackers, members will have to register before posting.
Best regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Welcome!

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Bruno,

On behalf of all future members, I would like to congratulate you on putting together this tribute forum in conjunction of the Stirling Aircraft Society site.

I look forward to answering any queries and questions from people in general and trust we can make a valued contribution, in respecting and honouring the efforts of the crews of Bomber Command, that served us so valiantly.

Kind regards,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hi John,

Once again I thank you very much for your help.
;)

Bruno
www.raf38group.org
Skintman

Post by Skintman »

Hi Bruno
& I suppose john :lol: (who i know from another forum!!)

I dont have much on Stirlings but will add when & where I can, I do have several of the CU ORBS, 1654 CU - May 42 - Jan 44 1655 Mosquito CU - Aug 42 - Jan 45 1656 CU - Oct 42 - Sept 43 1657 CU - Oct 42 - 44 1658 CU - Feb 42 - Nov 44 1659 CU - Oct 42 - dec 43 1660 CU - Oct 42 - Jan - Jan 44 1661 CU - Nov 42 - Jan 44 1662 CU - Feb 43 - Dec 43 1664 CU - May 43 - Dec ...

Dom
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great to have your knowledge and company here Dom,

To fellow members, the 'Skintman' won't admit it but I can tell you this gentleman has a wealth of knowledge on Bomber Command as a whole.

John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Skintman

Post by Skintman »

Hi John

Cheers!! John i think ..... (email cheque in the post to you :lol: ) better double check all my reply's now you said that!

Dom
North of 60
Corporal
Corporal

Hi all

Post by North of 60 »

Hello everyone;
Thought I would introduce myself.
My name is Chris, and I live in Inuvik, Northwest Territories, Canada.
My father Mark Borthwick GARVEN was a Navigator on Stirlings, flying primarily as a glider tug. He then taught Astro Nav, but I am not sure where. He was RCAF attached to the RAF.
Dad passed away about 6 years ago, and his record / log books are, as far as I know, with my brother. I am trying my darndest to get them, or at least copies of them, prior to a trip to the UK in August / September this year. I have a trip to the National Archives at Kew Gardens planned but only have a day there, so I am hoping to make the best of my time while there.
As for me, I did not go the Canadian Forces route until I started working in the Cadet program, where I eventually became CO of the local Army Cadet unit (2749 Inuvik (Signals) RCACC). The dead silence on the end of the phone when I told my dad I was working with an ARMY cadet unit was priceless, until I explained that the 1000 mile commute to the nearest Air Cadet unit would be a little unwieldy!
I look forward to gathering more information about Stirlings, my father and the units he was attached to.
On the computer front, I manage or assist with two or three other forums. Because of this, Bruno has graciously accorded me "Moderator" status. I am getting used to the phpBB software - all the other forums I work with are using Simple Machines Forum (SMF), which is very similar. There are enough differences that I have to think about what I am doing on here - don't want to hit the wrong button and have the gear collapse on me!

I look forward to hearing from you all and maybe helping the Stirling get the respect it deserves.

Cheers

Chris in Inuvik, NT, Canada
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

The team is reunited!
John, Dom, Chris: I thank you again for all your help.
Best regards.

Bruno
www.raf38group.org
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Good morning,
I joined the site some time ago via John's recommendation though I regret to say I've made no direct input to it, which I hope to correct in the future. My primary interest lies with 467 and 463 squadrons flying Lancasters out of Waddington, my link being that my father's best friend whom he trained with as a pilot in 1943, flew with 467 squadron as a flight engineer but was killed in March 1945 whilst bombing the Dortmund-Ems canal. The past 5+ years have been spent researching all the circumstances of this operation, the crew and as the "net" widened, Bomber Command in general, especially the training that the crews had as they went through the "sausage" machine. "My" crew, captained by an Australian pilot called Rolly Ward flew Stirlings at 1660 HCU at Swinderby and I'm keen to find out more about this particular phase of their training.
I was previously an active contributor to the Lancaster-Archive Forum, I'll be directing my experience and resources here should they be required for now on.
Regards
Max Williams
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Welcome to the forum Max,

Fellow members, this gentleman is not only what I regard as an expert on Bomber Command / Luftwaffe related topics, he is also a dam good fellow and friend. Max, your input is greatly appreciated.
John