Stirling AK488

This is the Forum of all you think can be useful about the Short Stirling Aircraft: Squadron Records & Crew Operational Record Books (ORB’s), Websites, Books...
delboy
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Stirling AK488

Post by delboy »

In May 2006 my mother (75) revealed to me a story never told before. We were travelling to York via Hartlepool. At Hartlepool my mother recounted how she wrote to the mother of one Rex Furey, a New Zealander, killed in an aircraft crash on Mickle Fell in 1944. After some research I found his sister (now Mrs Smith) and she and my mother are in regular correspondence.

The story is full of twists and turns that would make a Thomas Hardy novel. If anyone would like the full story please ring (leave a message) on 01229 583 120 and leave an address, slow mail or e-mail.

I plan to visit the grave on 19-Oct-2014, 70 years after the event and post a photo of flowers left to his sister.

I would also like to visit Mickle Fell (with MOD permission) and would be grateful for any views from anyone who has made this visit.

delboy
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: Stirling AK488

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi Delboy

Welcome to the Forum. I think your title should read LK488 :)

I know that members of the Stirling Project have visited the Mickle Fell site over the years; you're probably aware the the RAFM has the majority of the larger items from the crash in store at Stafford

regards

John L