FN25 Dustbin Turret - Where are you?

This is the Forum of all you think can be useful about the Short Stirling Aircraft: Squadron Records & Crew Operational Record Books (ORB’s), Websites, Books...
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

FN25 Dustbin Turret - Where are you?

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi All

I'm aware of the existence of a restored FN25 turret somewhere in the UK but also aware that it is unlikely that I can access it, though hopefully it is still intact and being looked after.

However I have read (somewhere, I forget) that there is/may be one in Australia. I can't find anything by Googling but that may be simply because the owner doesn't have a web site!

So this is a call to all the Australian/Kiwi forumites to ask if they have any knowledge of this mythical beast 'down-under'?

I would dearly like to get some measurements from the turret for my model, it's OK so far but I'd like it to be accurate and there are some parts that I just haven't a good photo of so they remain just 'estimated'.

Cheers
James
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: FN25 Dustbin Turret - Where are you?

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi James ........ good to see you back.

Nothing springs to mind back I'll have a little search over the weekend and report back.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Hi John

I've never been away - honest!

Thanks for looking - hope you find something!

James
hindenburg
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by hindenburg »

image.jpg
image.jpg (91.71 KiB) Viewed 9084 times
This one you mean James??? I took this picture at what I believe was the only public viewing..probably why there is not a lot of info on it.It was recovered from the crash site of WELLINGTON L7775 in 1983 and restored over a great many years by Restorations Unlimited headed by Clive Leach.I watched the progress on this over the years and supplied them with some parts.The owner went away for a while (about 5 years) and the last I heard,his collection had been broken up.The good news is...I found all the photos of it!!! The bad news..I have no scanner!!! Will try and do you some better photos in the daylight...or take them to work to scan.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Hi Hindenburg

No, not that one, in searching around for infomation on the turret I found some information that suggested that 'there is another' (to quote Yoda). This one was supposed to be in Australia somewhere.

Great news about the photos - be really nice if you could scan them! So much easier to work with good images.

Now I've finished the ammo belt animation I can get on with the other parts - annoyingly I've now got to animate the flexible wiring attached to the moving Hydraulic pipes. I'm really looking forward to animating this dropping out of the Stirling, never seen this happen on any films.

James
Attachments
Short Stirling FN25 Ventral Turret 6.jpg
Short Stirling FN25 Ventral Turret 6.jpg (92.97 KiB) Viewed 9082 times