Looking for information on Stirling Aircraft & Crews ?

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
JohnH
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Looking for information on Stirling Aircraft & Crews ?

Post by JohnH »

Thank you Alan for that information. More questions there than answers!

I know my great uncle was 32 when he died and that is fairly old for aircrew in those days. I am surprised about the number of crews he served with and the "small" amount of operations he undertook, given his age.

I guess I was under the romantic impression that he would have known his fellow crew members well, before he died.other than perhaps the lottery of a crewroom draw. Ho hum...!

Thank you again.
simsbabe
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by simsbabe »

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am looking for information regarding my uncle,his name was Harold Sherratt and he was a member of squadron 15 based at Bourn. He died in a mission on the 3rd of March 1943 and has a memorial at Runnymede. I was wondering if anyone had any information or photos of him and his crew?many thanks for your help, Melissa x
theauditor@me.com
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by theauditor@me.com »

I cannot find him on any databases!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks, best Simon
Last edited by theauditor@me.com on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Hi Simon

The easiest way to find out about your father is to apply for a copy of his service record. This will detail where he trained and which squadrons he flew with. Once you've got that you can then start fleshing out the detail with the information in the individual squadrons operational record books. To apply for the service record you will need to complete two forms (inevitably!) One is service (RAF) specfic. The forms can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... ce-records. Click on the link 'Apply for Service Personnel service records' on the left hand side of the page. You'll also have to provide a copy of his death certificate and it will cost you £30 for the service record! There will probably be a lenghty wait for the information as well!

Hope this helps

Dave
ramonvegelien
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by ramonvegelien »

hello I am Ramon from Netherlands,
i like to have some fhoto,s from the crew of the plane below

Datum. 06.11.1944 op maandag
Tijd. Tussen 23.00 en 24.00 uur
Plaats. IJsselmeer nabij Venhuizen
Type. Short Stirling MK IV
Onderdeel. 190 Squadron Special Duties Operation
Code. L9-A
Serienummer. LK 195
Basis. Great Dunmow.
Doel. Wapendropping - West Friesland

Bemanning:

F1. Offr. Edwin. Davis. Hodgson. Pilot, KIA
F1. Offr. Elmer. Joshua. Rusenstrom. Navigator , KIA
F1. Offr. George. Langley. Towns. Bombardier, KIA
Sgt. Reginald. Henry. George. Nevard. Engineer, KIA
WT . Offr. William. King. Wireless Operator – Gunner, KIA
F1. Offr. Henry. Edward. Evans. Tail – Gunner, KIA
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello Ramon and welcome to the forum.

Apart from what you already have .................. I found this link which has everything about the aircraft and crew. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 5413282021
Is this your page ?
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Fozman
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Fozman »

Hi Everyone,
Just found this forum & as I have a "long shot" enquiry with regard to a Stirling, I thought that it made sense to ask here! It's a little long, so please bear with me :-)

I'm researching an RAF pilot (Flt Lt John Worthington Harder 119026 - an American citizen) who ended up as a PoW & was briefly held in a wooden shed in Normandy now owned by a friend. Although he was flying Spitfires when he was shot down, in his earlier career, it would appear that he flew with Bomber Command & photographic evidence (unfortunately his logbook covering that period is missing) that at least some of this time was in Stirlings (he's shown in the pilot's seat with the caption "Bus driver").

I've seen his RAF record & this does not record any Squadron posting for Bomber Command.

However, there's a lot of other information within the collection of documents & photographs of his that I have seen that makes me wonder whether it is possible to track him back into his Bomber Command days (& probably with a Stirling)...

In summary, within Harder's photographs is one of a shot-up Lancaster & for a fighter pilot that doesn't make sense unless, perhaps he knew someone from the Lancaster crew...

I have a theory…

During training, John Harder flew Stirling bombers. Whilst he was grounded due to problems with his eyesight (as referred to in letters home) his “usual” crew (excluding M/Upper gunner Taggart - Taggart.JH RCAFAir gunner K-206351 J-93454) were killed in action. The evidence for this is in a letter home dated 6th July 1942…

…”I regret to say that this is not a very happy letter. Five of my best friends were killed in action a little while ago and as the six of us had always gone through everything together it sort of leaves me lonely not to have them around…. On top of that, some silly old woman of a medical officer has grounded me again – he thinks permanently…”

“As far as Lewis is concerned … tell him not to look at flak, flash and flaming onions at night as it will ruin your bloody eyes for months; I know. Nothing permanent, sort of like snow blindness. Mine are serviceable, but a lot of fellows’ aren’t. Also tell him to avoid Catalinas, they’re cold meat these days…”

A Mk III Stirling had a crew of 7, Harder, Taggart & the 5 men who died as above. There is also a photo in his album of some grave markers with the caption: “August 17th 1942, F Freddie’s crew, pilot was Ellerton”. Again, there is a discrepancy with dates, but as the photo album was put together post war this is not to be unexpected; the name “Ellerton” does not feature in any casualty lists for the period, either.

The matching of a crew with a new pilot may have contributed to their loss in action.

Continuing with the theory… Harder and Taggart then remained in contact despite being in different Commands of the RAF and Taggart provided Harder with a copy of the photograph of his damaged turret after the war (or perhaps even sent it to him during the war) as a reminder of his “close shave”.

There's a fuller version of this tale on my website (http://www.menintheshed.com/the-men/men ... 4squadron/) but I wonder whether anyone here with access to more detailed Squadron records than I have are able to shed any light at all on this?
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Welcome to the forum 'Fozman' and many thanks for your detailed letter. I will do a search over the weekend and come back to you.
I'm sure any other members with details we list as well.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Fozman
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Fozman »

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply... I realise it's a very long shot that with the little information that I have we'll be able to truly get to the bottom of it, but perhaps it's one of those one in a million chances that happen nine times out of ten that Terry Pratchett keeps writing about! :lol:

Oh, yes, I forgot to add... it's "Colin" :D

Cheers
Colin (aka Fozman)
lynnkeleher
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by lynnkeleher »

Just wanted to clarify slightly the information to Tony re J W Salmon. The final name in the list should have been Sgt. E H Winzar, KIA, not Sgt. E H Winter, KIA. I am also wondering if you have garnered any additional information on this crew. Sgt. Winzar was my grandfather. I have requested additional info from RAF Cranwell - hopefully it will shed some light.