Identities Sought

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
IWALKER
Sergeant
Sergeant

Identities Sought

Post by IWALKER »

Hello from New York,

My Grandfather Denis Lloyd was the sole survivor of Stirling N.6020 that crashed on August 25, 1941. As part of my research project, I made contact with family member of his deceased crew in 4 different countries which has been very rewarding. Denis also served with the individuals below on several missions and I am attempting to identify them further to hopefully make contact with those families too. If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it.

Sgt. J.D. Hart, 2nd Pilot 930004

Sgt. B.A. Fowler, possibly shot down or KIA on 07/25/1941 during mission to Berlin

Best wishes,

Iain Walker
Theletterwriter
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Identities Sought

Post by Theletterwriter »

Hi Iain

The first edition of Bill Chorley's Bomber Command Losses 1941 has a Sgt. B.A.A. Fowler shot down with his crew. All reported POW.

Regards

Douglas
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi Iain

I can't help with any names but I would ask if you know that the National Archives have a Casualty Report for N6020?

That is a little odd in that they are usually for crashes on home soil. Try this link and search for N6020.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... s/r/C16484

You will have to a) make a request to see how much it costs to copy and then b) pay that sum to get a copy sent to you (electronically).

Hopefully some more data to pull into your research.

Cheers
James
IWALKER
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by IWALKER »

Hi James and sorry for the late reply.

I have the documentation for a records search from the national archives but I have to provide a death certificate which is a bit nonsensical because I don't have the full identity in which to request that. I'm going to try to finagle my way through that process.

2nd Pilot Hart didn't crash on N.6020 on August 25, 1941 but flew with the crew several times before it crashed. I have 7 squadron flight records for July and August 1941, but he doesn't appear on those records after an August 5, 1941 mission.

If I had to guess, and it might be a bit of a stretch, it's that he possibly survived the war. I had little issue identifying anyone else but in those instances sadly, those gentlemen had died during the war and I was able to get "hits" in various databases such as the war graves commission, etc.

I'll keep searching. One other thought was to seek out a possible POW Questionnaire but I can't recall how to seek those out.

Thanks again!

Iain