R9313 Information Sought

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Albert Spangler
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

R9313 Information Sought

Post by Albert Spangler »

Good evening, I'm looking for information regarding Stirling R9313 and during my research I stumbled across this forum.

The reason I am looking for the information is that I am a serving aircraft mechanic in the RAF, and my team and I have come into possession of a Bristol Hercules reduction gearbox and spinner assembly from the aircraft crash site. Our plan is to clean up the gearbox and preserve it so that it can be displayed in the Historic Training Facility at RAF Leeming in North Yorkshire. Hopefully as part of the display we would like to include photographs of the aircraft itself and any photographs or information of the crew which were onboard when it was shot down over Sussex.
So far all I've managed to find is a small amount of information regarding the pilot, Sqn Ldr Ashworth who was sadly killed later in the war, but no other information about the rest of the crew.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated, either by providing photos/information directly, or pointing me in the right direction to find it myself. Any information we can find will hopefully go towards creating a suitable memorial at Leeming for these brave men.

P.S. My real name is Lee not Albert
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: R9313 Information Sought

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

As R9313 was a 218 Squadron Stirling, you should contact our fourm member Steve 'Smudger' Smith, 218 Squadron historian.
His member page :
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=72
His 218 Squadron website:
https://218squadron.wordpress.com/

Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
Albert Spangler
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Re: R9313 Information Sought

Post by Albert Spangler »

Thanks Bruno, I'll contact Steve directly through here. I did try contacting the 218 Sqn website directly a while ago but I'm not sure the message went though as I didn't receive a reply.

Lee