WANTED... A picture of Initial Training Wing Bridlington

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

WANTED... A picture of Initial Training Wing Bridlington

Post by GuyMassey »

I am looking for a photograph of the camp, buildings, gate or similar with which to illustrate my father's timeline. This would be for family use only and not for publishing. Try as I might I can only find group photographs of various entries. I do not have a group photo of my father's entry either, which would have been abt, Feb 1943. Any help would be most welcome.
Living in hope
Guy
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: WANTED... A picture of Initial Training Wing Bridlington

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Guy

My uncle was also at the 14 ITW at Bridlington. I've not tried to find it before but prompted by your post I've down a bit of searching around. It would appear that it wasn't a 'camp' in the usual sense. I found this post on the PPRunE forum: "Another connection between the RAF and Brid was that during WW2, the town was home to an Initial Training Wing where aircrew cadets learned to march and did lots of PT on the sea front and went to classes in the Spa Royal Hall. They were accomodated in requisitioned boarding houses and hotels. Permanent staff were billeted in boarding houses; my grandmother had several clerical staff WAAFs plus some NCO instructors in her establishment. The HQ was located in the Brentwood Hotel."

Bridlington, or Brid as it known locally, did have an RAF station but it was the home to an Air Sea Launch. Interestingly T.E.Lawrence (of Lawrence of Arabia fame) was posted there. From the Gulf of Aqaba to Bridlington Bay!

Dave
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Yes-Lawrence was there - and cycled to Dorset (Clouds Hill) he could not afford fuel for his Brough!! He was one of the early ASR people.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Your replies are most interesting. What then is the building that features behind the lads in most of the photographs? Does it still exist? The pictures attached are of my uncle Denis's course (bottom row far left). Denis was killed in an accident on the first night of flying at RAF Twinwoods on 25,10.42. I do not have a course picture for my Dad who attended a year later.
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Just noticed my uncle was at 5 ITW, I just assumed he went to the same training wing as my dad. Oops!!! Where was no.5? I see the photograph was taken by a west country studio.
Denonline
BC Veteran
BC Veteran

Post by Denonline »

I also did my ITW. at Bridlington, we were billeted in requisitioned houses along the seafront. Much of our square bashing etc being done in the sreets or on the beach.
We attended lectures in various halls. We fired our first live rounds on the beach using pistols to aim at a beach target.

Much of our course work was done in our billets. For example my billet was a very large room containing about 8 beds. An instructor used to give us tasks to complete, checking on us regularly.

One lesson being the issuing of a morse key & lamp each to learn the morse code.
We were required to be competent at up to 4 words per minute within 2 days.

I cannot remember any references to course photos. or where we dined. We seemed to be forever marching from one venue to another.

Dennis
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Good stuff Dennis, you've provided a great insight into what went on at an ITW.

Guy, Great photo, 5 ITW was apparently based in Torquay at these locations:
5 ITW Headquarters: Castle Chambers (formerly County Court Office. Weights and Measures Office)
5 ITW Accomodation: Hotel Majestic and Hotel Stanbury (both bombed 1943, no knowledge which hotels took over) I
5 ITW Hospital: Palace Hotel (bombed 1943)
5 ITW Dining Hall: Torquay Town Hall (now the Assembly Hall)

The above information came from a post on the RAFCommands forum: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showth ... quay-Devon.

Dave
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

I have just come across an entry in my father's Air Gunner's Association newsletters stating that 14 ITW Bridlington had entry photographs taken on the steps of the Pavilion. My father's course commenced on 2nd January 1943. Now I will have to find the course number! Who knows someone may even have a copy of the photograph! :-)
James Stewart
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by James Stewart »

Guy I found your post via Google search for info in 14 ITW.
I may well have a photo with your father in it, my father's brother was at Bridlington / 14 ITW at the same time, I have a squad photograph.
Please feel free to pop me a line.
Tommy123
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Tommy123 »

I have a squad picture of 14 ITW with my grandad in it from January 1943. It says on the front C flight 4 Squadron and there lots of signatures on the back.