IWM Photos

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

IWM Photos

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Gents,

Spent a few hours at the IWM photo archives in Lambeth yesterday, usual lack of enthusiasm from the staff, usual miss identified captioned photographs, nothing changes part from the cost, a 7" x 5" black and white photo now works out at £10.00 each, 9 photo’s = £90 excludes posting charges. :o :o :o

And they wonder why people don’t use them :shock: :shock:
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: IWM Photos

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Looks like the IWM is closing for refurbishment next year with some exhibts being moved to Duxford. See this link:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showth ... p?t=113633

Don't know if the archives will be closing?

Dave
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Dave,

I work not more than a mile from the IWM and have spent christ knows how many hours in the museum over the years. There have been some fascinating displays and lectures there in the time.

However it really is starting to show its age, some of the displays are the same from 5 – 6 years ago, excluding the usual eye catchers, Lanc, Halifax cockpit sections and P51 – Spitfire etc. I realise that space is limited but I agree it is long overdue for a major refurbishment.

That a side, I cannot under any circumstances endorse the cost of obtaining photographs, £10 per one 7 x 5 is simple too much. The photo’s I had copied are all originally via a private source donated in 1989 to the museum. I have been in touch with the family of S/Ldr Richmond who donated all Richmond’s RAF memorabilia to the museum in the hope it would benefit historians / researchers in the future, it certainly has but at a very steep cost. I will not even mention the copyright issue. !! :o :o

Rant over !!
The Nomads
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Steve, you're right the charges are excessive. As a photographer I charge £3 for a 7x5, granted I don't have to scan the photograph but to charge £10 is a bit cheeky. Perhaps that's why I'm still having to work! I'll never make a businessman! :lol:
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Dave_Richardson wrote:Steve, you're right the charges are excessive. As a photographer I charge £3 for a 7x5, granted I don't have to scan the photograph but to charge £10 is a bit cheeky. Perhaps that's why I'm still having to work! I'll never make a businessman! :lol:
Dave,

A bit cheeky, yep it is my old fruit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve
The Nomads
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Well Dave, you may only charge as you do but at least you still have a conscience. At least you can sleep at night and that is one of many reasons we value your contribution here on the forum.
Thanks mate,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Pilotdreamer
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Pilotdreamer »

English Heritage is exactly the same.I believe you should pay but so much is prohibitive to any body wanting to research and make up a little private collection.I found a nice 20 minute film on certain RAF training establishments in the 1960's on the IWM web site which contained nice scenes at some now defunct RAF Stations but I just not cannot justify spending £70 on a DVD.Another thing that I find immoral is if I for example had log books and medals and photos of a family member and I gave them to some government organisation I would like them to make it easy for the general public to see and copy and not be used to give some body a nice Christmas bonus.It seems to me our lovely leaders have put every thing into private hands who just want to make.Bring back democracy and freedom thats what I say.Sorry I am going on.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Hi Steve - I've found using the IWM's search engine quite hard work. What sort of RAF/BC stuff do they have?

Cheers,

Richard
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

PAFG wrote:Hi Steve - I've found using the IWM's search engine quite hard work. What sort of RAF/BC stuff do they have?

Cheers,

Richard
Richard, that is standard procedure with all government sites. I sure they are compiled as such to keep enquiries to a minimum
( disclaimer - If Iv'e offended any members who work with any govt. offices, I apologise but that is the impression I get here in Oz and anywhere else, in truth.)
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"