Stirling Mk I EF349 WP Y 90 Sq

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
JCGUELL
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Stirling Mk I EF349 WP Y 90 Sq

Post by JCGUELL »

Hello all,

On May 30, 1943 the Shorts Stirling EF 349 WP Y of the 90 Squadron of the RAF were shot down on the city of Proville near Cambrai. This plane was in theory MkI of series 3. The planes of this series could be equipped with dorsal turret FN7A or with the FN50 like MkIII. There would be also differences in positioning of the windows.

I seek information or photos of this plane to make the model of it. Other Stirlings photos of the 90 could give me an idea.

Thank you with which will be able to help my

JCG
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Stirling Mk I EF349 WP Y 90 Sq

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi mate,

here are some details from 90 Sqn .......... BUT, there seems to be a lot of confusion over the squadron codes.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Jnrrazz
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Jnrrazz »

Hi

Did you find out any further details from flight EF349 and did you male a model?

My grandad was on that plane and was 1 of 2 survivors. If you did make a model it would be great to see pictures and if you have any more information on that flight, it would be great if you could share that info as well.
JCGUELL
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by JCGUELL »

Hello Michael

You can see photos of my model on my Faceboock page.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?van ... 3381698540
It is not a very successful model. I'm sorry I didn't pay a better tribute to your grandad and his companions

Regards

JC Guëll
Jnrrazz
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Jnrrazz »

Thank you JCG

I think it looks amazing and I appareciate you sharing the details. Thank you as well for bringing to life a part of my family history, although it ended in such tragic circumstances, its a nice reminder of the heroic effort so many people made.

Regards

Michael