Special Hobby Sunderland Mk 5

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
Sabre
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Special Hobby Sunderland Mk 5

Post by Sabre »

With Lockdowns preventing trips to the workshop to undertake some 1:1 modelling on the Stirling Project the loft insulation has been under attack recently. This is the Special Hobby Sunderland Mk5 in 230 Sqn markings, the aircraft was used on the Berlin Airlift. I have endeavoured to recreate the picture of a Sunderland and Stirling nose to nose . Although I have been sticking bits of plastic together for getting on for 60 years I still don’t seem to get any better.
Cliff F
Attachments
DSC00203 .jpg
DSC00203 .jpg (35.67 KiB) Viewed 21469 times
DSC00198 .jpg
DSC00198 .jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 21469 times
DSC00196.jpg
DSC00196.jpg (34.7 KiB) Viewed 21469 times
Mark Joyce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Special Hobby Sunderland Mk 5

Post by Mark Joyce »

Nice work on both, Cliff. How was the Special Hobby kit?

Cheers,

Mark
Sabre
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Sabre »

Hi Mark
Nicely detailed and fine representation of skin and panel lines, needs some filler on the wings to fuselage joints, also the keel and mid-upper turret inserts. There is a lot of internal detail but not much is visible. The turrets and aerials are a fiddle but that’s me getting old.
There is a build review on Britmodeller by TonyT that identifies some of the issues, he makes a better job of the build than I did.
There are differing mod states between the aircraft, in particular the fixed nose guns, so need to check with reference pictures. I did find a pic of the aircraft I built, hence they are not fitted. Makes up into a nice kit.
Cliff
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

Wonderful!

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org