Airfix Lancaster Build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Airfix Lancaster Build

Post by halifax1 »

Of course there has been a massive departure from the real thing!! (And this will certainly start fisticuffs) but you should have applied the roundels prior to the camouflage. Apparently this was done so that a test flight could occur, before final finishing and you would not (hopefully) get shot down by an enthusiastic fighter boy!!
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

I thought it was only the Wavy Navy gunners who couldn't distinguish between a Lancaster and a Bf109? A couple of shots of the Lanc as she sits now on my desk - just the glasswork to finish and add.

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Small pieces are often difficult to paint; I find the easiest method is to make a loop of masking tape and then stick the item to it. If it's firmly fixed, even the jet from the airbrush won't move it. Before and after pictures of the guns and aft sections of the nose and rear turrets.

Note the airbrush in the second picture, I strip it down and clean it every time I use it. I've gradually developed a foolproof system of cleaning which takes about three minutes - very well worth the time.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

Max, is your airbrush a single action gravity feed type? I've been trying to learn to use a double action gravity feed with mixed results. I keep moving the trigger in the wrong direction at the wrong time. So in the meantime, until I master it, I bought a single action siphon model.

Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Kerry,

Being you are here is Qz ( infact, just up the road in Brissie ) Do you mind me asking what kind of $$$$$$ could one expect to folk out for your type of model. ( being that I'm about to start my 1:48 scale ) You can PM if you want.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Yes Kerry, it is a single action. I've only had it a for about a year and a half, I was rather uncertain about getting an airbrush but an excellent guy over here took me through the pros and cons, recommended this one and put together a "package" with compressor etc etc. I've got no regrets whatsoever about getting this model. You have the variable of how far the needle can be pulled back which is governed by the screw at the end, then the air pressure which is how far you pull the trigger back. The first of course you set before you begin, so when you're working you only have to think about air pressure.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Despite the whipper-snapper's jibes about masking a 1/72nd canopy instead of free-handing, the job was completed. The astro-dome had to be done using Maskol, not my favourite stuff to use but in some places there is little alternative.

The end result isn't too bad! The two panels with the "bubble" on have been moulded separately by Airfix with a location tab that engages with a spigot in the cockpit. I'll see how effective this is first, though I may just glue it in place in the canopy. I always use a PVA-based glue for clear parts, usually Gator glue. Polyurethene glue melts plastic very easily if a little gets onto the clear parts, and CA mists it terribly.

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
schrage musik
Corporal
Corporal

Post by schrage musik »

Well while you have been doing the lanc the whipper snapper has been spraying the spit and the V1, :D
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

You know Max . I am impressed by your stamina - I simply could not have put my head down and gone for it as did you!! And amazingly the workmanship is quite good too. Clearly the Whippersnapper is motivating you by his very presence - and seems no slouch himself.

Consider this if you will:-

""Whippersnapper" is a somewhat archaic term, rarely heard today outside of movies, and then usually from the mouth of a character portrayed as chronologically-challenged and hopelessly old-fashioned to boot. A "whippersnapper" is an impertinent young person, usually a young man, whose lack of proper respect for the older generation is matched only by his laziness and lack of motivation to better himself."

So clearly I blame the parent!! :lol: :shock: But the young chap seems to be doing alright on his own, now.
schrage musik
Corporal
Corporal

Post by schrage musik »

Thank you David!!!

I do seem to do alright onmy own!!! :D