Airfix Short Stirling with White Ensign P.E. sets.

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: Airfix Short Stirling with White Ensign P.E. sets.

Post by ME453 »

PAFG wrote:
CavOk wrote:
halifax1 wrote:OH dear - sorry to say this but there are two rivets missing from the panelling by the navigators table. I really don't know how you can have been so careless!! :shock: :twisted: ;)
Oh tish poo I'll have to bin it!!
It's looking a treat Mike, really inspiring!

Pretty rich comment from Halibag there - he's had a screw loose himself for years now :D

R
And he lost both of his nuts ages ago.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Before I started rescribing the fuselage I test fitted the front turret and found that it needed quite a lot of fettling. One thing necessary was the near total removal of the moulded turret mount at the forward end of the fuselage which was originally meant to take the movable kit turret which of course is in the bin. The Falcon replacement transparency when combined with the WEM etch is a different kettle of fish. To start with it’s a more accurate shape and thus a little bit bigger.
In this picture you can see the replacement transparencies and the etch turret details. The forward turret needs a new floor otherwise there is nothing to fix the etch detail to.
Next will be a coat of paint and then final assembly of the turrets. All of the kit guns have been removed and will be replaced with Quickboost barrels the mounts have been drilled to take these later. In order to save unnecessary breakages the turrets will be fitted at the end of the project.

Till the next. Mike
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I say old boy, you do like your etching do you not. Absolutely spiffing though. Splendid job thus far.
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Just a quick update today, these are the turrets ready for installation at the end of the build. The Falcon replacements are certainly better than the kit ones but they do require care both in cutting from the moulding sheet and painting. All of the canopy frames are from decal sheet as the plastic is too thin and prone to damage if using cut and mask technique.
Till the next.

Mike
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Oooooooooo............ you are such a show off!!!

11/10 though for effort
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Today’s update is the work on the bomb bay and bomb doors which in the Airfix kit are devoid of any detail other than a number of 500LB bombs to fill the empty cavity. I’ve thinned the parts down and filled in moulding marks; then using micro strip I’ve tried to create the impression of internal ribbing and on the inside faces of the outer doors I’ve used left over P.E. hand rails from a naval project from years ago. I think under a coat of paint they will look convincing as ribs.
Till the next.

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

In this update the tail wheel undercarriage bay is complete apart from painting. The original Airfix offering is on the left and is bound for the bin. The bay doors have been fashioned from the kit parts that represent the closed position. Simply they have been cut in half reduced in size and thickness and detailed with micro-strip to represent ribs. The Stirling rear undercarriage bay was actually divided in two and this I’ve tried to represent. Next is a coat of paint and I’m now considering attaching the wings so as the wing joint can be made good.
Till the next.

Mike
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Love your work there, Mike. It too is coming along nicely. Nothing better than seeing members of the forum, sharing their works of art.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

It was one of those sickening moments; I picked the model up and could hear that death rattle from inside the fuselage that signalled something had come loose. Nothing for it but bite the bullet and remove the canopy to see what was amiss. Luckily the canopy came away cleanly and the loose part was the co-pilots seat. This has now been reassembled but this time with araldite rather than super glue and when set the canopy can be reaffixed without issue. The cocktail stick is a temporary support.

In this picture you can see the wings and tail surfaces are now fixed in place just waiting on final cleanup before painting begins.
Until the next.

Mike
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I always think it rather brave of people to show close ups on these sites - magnifies detail and defects - but none apparent here old boy!! You are getting a good finish by all accounts and the cockpit detail is obviously more than a bit good!! About to commence finals now I assume?