Airfix Short Stirling with White Ensign P.E. sets.

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Re: Airfix Short Stirling with White Ensign P.E. sets.

Post by CavOk »

At last real progress as the base Dark Earth is applied and when dry the camouflage outline will be lightly pencilled in ready for free hand airbrushing of Dark Green.
Till the next.
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

A quick update today, first coat of the Dark Green camouflage is on, another coat tomorrow.
Mike
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Mike, the fact that we cannot see any seams down the fuselage and alike, tells us you are doing a great job!
Keep going, mate.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

A most agreeable rendition old chap - in fact quite spiffing!! I do wish it were finished - it will really look good and I am becoming impatient!!
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

halifax1 wrote:A most agreeable rendition old chap - in fact quite spiffing!! I do wish it were finished - it will really look good and I am becoming impatient!!
Hang on to your hat

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Today the final coat of underside black has gone on. I prefer Humbrol Black Satin 85 I find it gives a smooth finish and Klear takes to it very well.
Once the paint has dried the masking can come off and doubtless there will be retouching to do.
Till the next.

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

The masking is off and tomorrow I’ll begin retouching. The canopy masking needs minor repair but all in all a pleasing result.
Till the next.
Mike
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Looks fantastic Mike - looking forward to seeing her with decals and varnish!

Richard
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

The latest issue of Model Airplane International V8 issue 94 just fell on my door mat. Good oh! R.J.Caruana has done some profiles of the Short Stirling. What a disappointment to find that he portrays all variants with oil coolers under the nacelles which of course is nonsense. That arrangement is applicable only from the MKIII onwards.
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

In this update the decals have been applied using Micro Set solutions. I’ve used the Airfix decals as supplied in the kit and despite being printed by Cartograf I came across a most unusual problem in that some of the decals simply would not separate from the backing sheet even after 20 minutes or so of soaking. In the end the point of a No10a blade had to be employed to lever up an edge followed by careful use of a sable chisel shaped brush to free them from the backing. There afterwards so far no problems. After overnight drying I’ll check for silvering otherwise it will be a final coat of Klear before the weathering.
Front left of the picture you may be able to make out two of the bomb carriers as supplied by WEM, there are about 25 in total and will be added to the bomb bays in due course.
Till the next.

Mike