Airfix Short Stirling with White Ensign P.E. sets.

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Airfix Short Stirling with White Ensign P.E. sets.

Post by halifax1 »

CavOk wrote:The latest issue of Model Airplane International V8 issue 94 just fell on my door mat. Good oh! R.J.Caruana has done some profiles of the Short Stirling. What a disappointment to find that he portrays all variants with oil coolers under the nacelles which of course is nonsense. That arrangement is applicable only from the MKIII onwards.
Mike
Mr Caruana is well known for his variations of the facts and his plagiarism, and thereby perpetuating errors or even creating them. Many people are very wary of reliance on his representations. I had some interesting correspondence with him and Airfix in regard to some rather unforgivable errors in the Valiant - an otherwise very good kit! I believe his drawings are widely used in the industry which may explain a number of things!

Mike - when I first looked at the underside view above I thought you were going to have both inboard engines on fire!! Could not believe it! You are producing a gem!

D.
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

In this update I’ve started the weathering which I’m going to keep fairly subtle although it has to be said the early Stirlings suffered very heavy weathering.
Exhaust stains will be applied after the flat finish and then it’s back to the undercarriage and hopefully she’ll be up on her wheels very soon.
Till the next.

Mike
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I think "subtle" weathering is the right choice because a 1:72nd scale model is like viewing the origin from say 50 - 100 m and a lot of the "weathering detail" at that distance becomes rather vague. Added to which you have the downgrading by the "atmosphere".

Still looking good of course!

D
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Today’s update is the application of the flat finish and when dry I’ll airbrush some exhaust stains and then some final details.
Till the next.
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

In this update I’ve fitted the undercarriage and removed all masking. The masking method I used on the windows allowed me to reshape and resize the fuselage windows to make them more accurate.
You can also see my method for fitting the main wheels; here I’ve removed the axle hubs from the kit legs drilled and fitted them onto rod which then slides into the scratch built main legs capturing the main wheel on the way; thus making for a very firm structure.
Next will be further work on the bomb bays and other details.
Till the next
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Many thanks to all that have left comments, I do appreciate your encouragement. I think we are now on the home straight.

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

In this update the wing bomb doors are ready for fitting and the bombs are under preparation including scratch built fins from lead foil courtesy of wine bottles. The drill shank is used as the former for the fins.
Till the next.

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Some final details added to be followed by the inevitable retouching here and there. I might tone down the bombs a wee bit more and I’ve left some of the carriers empty so as to show off the WEM P.E. pieces.
A little more work required around the engines and exhausts and the aileron actuators but the construction phase is now complete.
Till the next.
Mike
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Undoubtedly this model is going to look very nice indeed - presently the "clutter" around it rather distracts the eye so when displayed as "finished" I really do think you will have something of which you can be very proud. You seem to have got the finish on the surfaces just right - there is that subtly that is not easy to obtain but is essential in order to emulate the appearance of a "full size" aircraft at the like distance from which the model is "viewed". Well done. And a very interesting and nicely presented topic throughout. Thank you.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

^^^^^
What David said - it looks stunning. It's been a pleasure to follow the thread - I look forward to the finishing touches!

Rochard