Fortress III of 214 sqdn, 100 Group

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: Fortress III of 214 sqdn, 100 Group

Post by wayne »

Hi Max,

I saw a few photos of RAF B17's on the Wings Over New Zealand forum and remembered your build.

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/20050 ... er-command

Just scroll down a little for the photos.

Have you finished the B17 yet?
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

WOW Wayne, some absolutely brilliant pictures there, most of them completely new to me and of good quality, they'll be very useful in more than one way. Funnily enough I've just spent a while photographing my Fortress, which I'm afraid isn't yet finished but IS getting there, see below.

The shiny bits on the aft end of the fuselage are where the paintwork was coated with Klear to make the application of the decals easier, this will be matt coated later in the build.

I'm very interested in that thread that you've linked to, I'll bookmark it and may contribute once I've had a good read.
Regards and thanks
Max

PS Before the Dereham Dodger comes along with his observations, the wings are not yet glued in place which explains the trench at the root with the fuselage! :(
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Hi Max,

Glad to have been of some help.
There are some excellent photo's there on the Wings over NZ site. I hope they can continue the thread on 100 group.

Your B17 look great, I wish I could build like that :)

Wayne.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Gents, after seeing all the other relevant images here, I thought I'd better continue here as well.
Found most of these on one site. Some you would have already seen but there are other I'd hadn't seen before.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Once again, some brilliant and useful pictures John. It's interesting that the trend in 214 squadron appears to be to paint the individual aircraft letter on the aircraft's nose - on Fortress IIs it seems to be on the plexiglass nose but on IIIs on the H2S dome. I've done a little more work on my model though not enough to be worth showing. When I've had time for modelling I've been doing a bit to the Domini (though again cleaning up work/filling/sanding etc and not significant enough to picture) and I've been researching/preparing for another project that I'm very excited but slightly worried about but which I'm keeping under wraps for the moment!! (No, sadly it's not a Stirling.....I wish!)
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Found some more interesting images of RAF Flying Fortresses ........... ( a close up of radar at the rear turret)
John

" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Thanks John, the first one is especially interesting because Prestwick was the first place the Forts went to when received nby the RAF for modification by Scottish Aviation. Mods included fitting the flame dampers to the exhausts.
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

With reference to the photo of Fortress AN520, i have the logbook of an Aussie who flew in that aircraft whilst with 220sqdn. In just under a year from these entries he and his crew were killed when their Wellington crashed after take off from the airfield just down the road from me.
Attachments
FKM.jpg
FKM.jpg (125.3 KiB) Viewed 26064 times
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by kookabat »

Hey Max,

On the subject of 214 Sqn, Angus Cameron was once again at the Canberra events last month:

The bloke he's talking to is Rex Austin, a 207 Sqn WAG who was shot down in May 1944 and spent some time in PoW camps. After the war both he and Angus went back into the RAAF and in fact did ITS together (the second time); as you know Angus hardly needs an excuse to pull out that big wide grin of his but in this case it was because he and Rex had not seen each other in some 50 years. I happened to walk past just as they recognised each other :lol:

Adam
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great stuff, Adam ............. thanks for sharing it with us.
John