Fairey Firefly 1/48

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Fairey Firefly 1/48

Post by CavOk »

This is the next project, a Fairey Firefly Mk I. I've no idea which markings I will use and so far all I've done is wash all of the parts in mild soapy water to clean off any releasing agent.
Till the next
Mike

I've started work on the interior and I'm using Dick Clark's article in Scale Aviation Modeller International Sept 2013 as a guide. Generally the mouldings are not bad but the instructions with regard to detail parts are vague to say the least. On the plus side the colour call outs are useful and save a lot of head scratching.
Just as the article suggests I'm building the entire interior in one fuselage half while constantly checking the fit using decorators masking tape to hold the fuselage halves together.
One thing though and this isn't the first time I've encountered this, superglue doesn't seem to take to the plastic. I've no idea why but liquid poly cement is fine. One last point, the canopies are moulded closed so an open cockpit will need some steady work with a razor saw.
Till the next.
Mike
Last edited by CavOk on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Re: Fairey Firefly 1/48

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Mike,

I worked with a chap who was a wireless op / gunner ( not sure if this is the correct term ) on these out in the Pacific. He cut his teeth his in the UK, Scotland I think.

He told me that they were a great aircraft to operate especially against the Japs who by the time he was out there had only a few fighters available, flak was the biggest problem. I will try and locate a photo he gave me of him and his pilot on a FAA Carrier.

Looking forward to this build.

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Before too much in the way of details get added to the interior the test fit of the early canopy reveals a fit issue, which is best dealt with now rather than later.
After some fettling clearly some work is required to fill those gaps.

Till the next

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Hi Steve
Nice to hear from you. I'm taking a rest from Bomber Command but they're not forgotten.
Best wishes

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

A quick update, the interior detailing is almost complete bar the painting. You can probably glimpse the fillet of white plastic card attached to the cockpit combing that will fill the gap previously seen after some gentle fettling.
Till the next.
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

The gap around the canopy has been fettled with scrap plastic card and any remaining cracks I'm confident will be filled with white glue.
Till the next

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

The interior is complete and apart from the seat belts is out of the box. Plenty of trial fitting and test closing of the fuselage with decorators tape is essential.

Till the next.
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

The fuselage is buttoned up and all is held in place using clamps of one sort or another and decorators tape.

The cement has cured and off come the clamps etc, and now it's time to start the clean up.

Till the next
Mike
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Looking good, Mike.
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

In this update the canopy has been divided using a jewellers saw and then masked using Tamiya tape. The windscreen is cemented into position and just needs a little bit of fettling to make it snug. I've also started the undercarriage bay interior which is a lovely resin moulding.
Till the next
Mike