Fairey Firefly 1/48

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Re: Fairey Firefly 1/48

Post by CavOk »

in this update I've fixed in place the wheel well moulding to the lower wing half and then cemented the lower wing half onto the fuselage. Trial fitting seems to indicate that the wing root surfaces on the upper halves will just need a trim in order to get a neat fit.
I've also assembled the tailplanes and if you're wondering what those two objects sitting on the top of the wheel well are, they are the wing root intakes that simply aren't mentioned in the instructions.
Till the next.
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

In this update my method of aligning the bottom half of the wing to the fuselage first seems to have paid off. This followed by careful sanding of the upper wing mating surface where it joins the fuselage has done the trick. The next thing was to introduce a .060 x .080 piece of plastic strip to ensure the upper surface of the wing root didn't sag when aligned with the fuselage root fairing.
Till the next

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

At last I can get back to the work bench. Canopies, landing light and wing tip nav lights are masked and a quick coat of interior green over the masking. While the airbrush was charged I used the same colour to test the seams for any imperfections and now it's time to re-scribe the missing panel lines.
Till the next
Mike
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi Mike,

Looking good mate!

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

It's been a while but now I'm back at the workbench. Three coats of Dark Slate Grey followed by a pencil outline for the camouflage and then the first coat of Extra Dark Sea Grey.
Till the next

Mike
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Again, great work Mike.
To see all that work in the cockpits, only to be covered up .................... temporarily of course?
Press on regardless!
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

After gloss coating with Klear the decals are going on. I have to say the decals are so thin that you only get one go at positioning them as I found it impossible to adjust their position without ruining them. Microsol solutions were no help in this instance.
Some decals had to be replaced while removing them damaged the paintwork. Hence some paintwork had to be touched up with careful airbrushing.
Still it's getting there.
Till the next.

Mike
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

I admire your patience with your efforts. I would have given up.
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Painted and weathered

then off come the masks. Nearly finished

Mike
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Yes Mike, when it comes to decals, I tend to think applying them is the hardest task of a build!
Great work by the way.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"