1/48 Bristol Blenhiem IV, Classic Airframes

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Re: 1/48 Bristol Blenhiem IV, Classic Airframes

Post by CavOk »

Here's the latest instalment. I've finished closing the fuselage and joined all of the flying surfaces.
The cleanup work has begun and unsurprisingly the liquid poly has removed the paint from the joining surfaces on the glass nose but the fit is good. As for the wings the fit here is not so good and the wing roots will need careful work to fill and make good.
Here and there I've found sink marks that need filling and surprisingly the plastic in places is so soft that great care has to be used when applying liquid poly to avoid a meltdown.
Till the next.
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Its been a while since my last post as the house has been knocked about and I'm only now getting my work room back together and taking up from where I left off.
This project has not been plain sailing and the amount of filling sanding priming refilling and resanding has been daunting at times. At last the base finish looks reasonable and so I can start to rescribe the lost panel detail and then move on to painting.
Thanks for looking, till the next

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Its been pointed out on another forum thatthe propellers are the wrong diameter. I've spent part of this morning shortening and profiling the propellers; the before and after can be seen in the picture. The original kit prop is on the right.
I forgot to mention that in the previous picture the hole in the front of the engine nacelle was made to extract the landing lights which had been installed in the wing leading edge but came adrift and floated down into the wing.
Thanks for looking, till the next
Mike
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Looking good, Mike. I saw the Blenheim flying last summer - it looked surprisingly modern and warlike, much more so than its reputation leads you to expect!
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

In this update I've added pieces of clear plastic taken from a toothbrush to the wing tips. I've also drilled into the back of the clear parts and filled the holes with paint to represent red and green bulbs. When finally polished they'll be given a coat of Klear and then masked. I've made the additions oversize in order to allow the seams to be cleaned up and hidden. The masking will show the wing tip lights at the correct size.
Till the next

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

A quick update the wing tip lights have been polished and coated with klear. The resribing can now commence
Till the next

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

I have to say this has been one of those infrequent builds that I couldn't wait to get it off my workbench.
It wasn't the easiest of builds and fit issues were in abundance. I also had problems with paint and Klear leeching under the transparency masking which meant a considerable amount of polishing to rectify my mistake.
None the less here it is a Blenheim Mk IV of 82 Squadron as it looked before its loss on May 17th 1940.
Hope you like it and thanks for looking.

Mike
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Magnificent work, Mike.
Many thanks for sharing this and all your builds, with us.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Stunning. Great work Mike, well worth the effort you've put in to get over the road bumps. A fitting tribute to the men who flew her.

Thanks for sharing. What's on the workbench next?!

Richard
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

PAFG wrote:Stunning. Great work Mike, well worth the effort you've put in to get over the road bumps. A fitting tribute to the men who flew her.

Thanks for sharing. What's on the workbench next?!

Richard
Hi Richard
A Halifax either Mk III or VII

Thanks for looking

Mike