1/48 Bristol Blenhiem IV, Classic Airframes

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

1/48 Bristol Blenhiem IV, Classic Airframes

Post by CavOk »

Here's the latest build a Classic Airframes Blenheim Mk IV. Apart from cleaning up the resin parts and pondering how to assemble the fuselage the only work I've done is this.
I've decided to assemble together the nose transparencies and their respective fuselage halves on a sheet of glass thus producing two complete halves of the fuselage. The kit instructions would have you assemble them separately and join together at a later stage but I think that stores up misalignment trouble for later.
My thinking is that the interior can now be assembled in one fuselage half and then closed up, which hopefully will reduce the chance of misalignment of the office furniture in the nose glazing

Till the next
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Re: 1/48 Bristol Blenhiem IV, Classic Airframes

Post by CavOk »

Work progressing quite slowly in between major house building works. So far I've airbrushed the interior pieces ready for assembly and masked the nose transparencies. Next I'll airbrush the nose and start assembling the office.
Till the next
Mike
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Good start there, mate. We will be watching the build closely once again.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

The interior is starting to take shape. The kit instructions are vague to say the least and its essential to have reference pictures to hand.
So far my idea of joining the clear nose halves with their respective fuselage halves at the outset seems to be working.
One point I have doubts about is the instrument panel being the correct shape for anything other than a MkI?
Till the next
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 133%29.jpg

I think this photograph is from a Bolingbroke hence the difference in the full span instrument panel. I'm going with the kit version.

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Cockpit complete and time to close up the fuselage which will be done in easy stages to ensure alignment.
Till the next
Mike
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Looking good, Mike. Any thoughts at this stage on squadron, period and so on?

Richard
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Closing up the fuselage has been conducted over a couple of days using liquid poly.
The final closure is next .
Till the next

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

PAFG wrote:Looking good, Mike. Any thoughts at this stage on squadron, period and so on?

Richard
I'm tempted by the 1940 era and possibly 40 squadron when based at Wyton. Any links to photographs would be well received.

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

A quick update while the fuselage dries. I've made a simple jig for the propellers which are a nice combination of resin hubs and plastic blades.
Basically it's a slab of granite work top covered with decorators masking tape and marked out with the geometry from a spares box propeller.
The hub after cleaning up is glued with a spot of Bostic which will peel off when finished with. The blades are then offered up to the hub fiddled into position and a drop of superglue to finish.
Till the next

Mike