Airfix Stirling Inspirational Build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Airfix Stirling Inspirational Build

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Came across this build of an Airfix Stirling. The site's in Italian but can be translated, sort of, using Google.

http://www.drivefly.it./schede_soci/Vig ... Mk%20I.php

What a fantastic model, here are some photos from the site. Apparently it took 10 months to complete.

Me, I'm off to the model shop!

Dave

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Airfix Stirling Inspirational Build

Post by K4KittyCrew »

That's great stuff, Dave.

Do you know if it's the Sangster 1:48 scale build or a 1/72 scale model. Like you, I'm really keen to build a Stirling.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Hi John

It's the Airfix 1/72 scale. The website has more photos of the construction.

DAve
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Dave,

If that's a 1/72 scale model, then I truly marvel at the expertise of construction ............ Wow! I thought building a 1/48 scale was tough enough to adhere to the finer points but this effort, as displayed, really is something. Were talking micro surgery stuff, here. My clumsy hands would shudder the thought ............ But, I going for the Sanger, 1/48 scale ........... to match the Lanc.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Hi John

Yes, I'm keen to have a go at one. I haven't done any serious modelling for over 30 years, so I'm a bit rusty, to say the least! The easy bit will be buying the kit and restocking the tools, paints and glues. The difficult bit will be the negotiations with the Base Commander over which hanagar to do the work in etc. I can just hear it now . . "Aren't you a bit old for all this" and "Just where do you think THAT'S going to go when you've finished it?"

So any tips on modelling and more importantly tactics to deal with the Base Commander will be greatfully received!!

Dave
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Dave_Richardson wrote:So any tips on modelling and more importantly tactics to deal with the Base Commander will be greatfully received!!
Dave
Hopefully you may find some tips on the build in my earlier Lancaster build thread Dave, that's what I did it for. As for dealing with the Base Commander: 2 points - age is not a barrier to building models, indeed it is a definite advantage (except when you get beyond it like David). And the clincher is "Would you prefer I was down the pub or sitting here at home making a model?"

Go for it Dave...you'll love it!
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I haven't done any serious modelling for over 30 years,

That is no reason to be concerned, Dave - Max has not done any serious modelling.......ever!! by all means consider his topic - and then you will have an idea of what not to do.

But do have a go - I am sure you will not regret it. I am sure John will join in with advice etc. In so far as emulating the Stirling mentioned above - yes indeed I am past it - do not have the inclination - the stamina and, would you believe ( I am retired) the time! When I look back at some of the scratch building I did - even 10 years ago - I wonder, how?? I remember turning gun barrels on my lathe for a warship which took hours - the stanchions for the deck rail - probably in excess of a hundred and drilling 3 holes with a 0.20mm drill in each (which were probably 1mm in diameter). I really cannot imagine doing it now. And it is not the Port, that is to blame, as Max may well claim.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi chaps,

Just stumbled upon this part of the Forum :oops:

I have to say that, that is one cracking build. I don't know where the builder has got his info from but from what I know he's got it pretty much spot on! I have it on good authority (our drawings officer) that there are some dimensional errors in the Airfix kit, if I remember correctly I'm sure he thinks that the model is some 1/4" too short but don't ask me where. I think it's correct in accordance with the available plans, but he thinks that there is an error in interpretation that hasn't been corrected down the years.

Suffice it to say that he is working on drawings so that a more accurate rendition can be produced ;)

John
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

The likelihood of errors of measurement would not surprise me at all John. The are certainly a few I have found in the Airfix kit - for example the rendering of the flaps on the upper wing! And cockpit is a bit weird to in some respects.

This model is pretty good, exceedingly great skill shown - but like a lot of folk he has gone off a bit! His panel lines and rivets are a little bit too obvious and "uniform"?? But these issues are much debated by modellers and it is very much in the eye of the beholder. Do you prefer to try and resemble the real thing or produce something that will get Oooos and Ahhhs because you have formed and shown a "scale sized" rivet that is not in fact visible on the real thing except at very close quarters - perhaps only a couple of feet or so - whereas of course many claim that models should be considered as viewing the real thing at a distance of several meters.

Some are obsessed by engraved panel lines on models - spend hours scribing them - but as we all know panel lines are frequently "raised" - panels misshapen - and not recessed as such. On more modern aircraft much care is sometimes taken to "fill in" rivets to improve airflow and reduce drag. Later marks of Spitfire and Mustang for example, and onwards. And if you don't believe me, have a look at the many pictures.

But here of course I am displaying my ability as a critic rather than the artist.

Mind you Max will have something to say i suspect about the apparent thickness of the fuselage skin as indicated by the window recess.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

It's very true there are rivet counters everywhere :roll:

having spent all my working life around aircraft, my pet hate is pre-shading of panel lines. In my humble opinion if you look at an aircraft in real life from a scale 100' away you won't see hardly anything except obvious areas of exhaust staining etc.

The trouble is that a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing..... :geek:

John