299 Squadron Stirling Build - Arnhem

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

299 Squadron Stirling Build - Arnhem

Post by GuyMassey »

At last I am ready to model one of my father's Stirling IV's that he flew during the Arnhem campaign together with a Horsa to match. Conversion parts sorted, kits bought.
During the campaign he flew in two 299 squadron aircraft, "X9W" and "Z". I want to get the squadron codes and markings as near right as I can. Position, size and colour. Why was "Z" just a single letter in his log book. Were the codes red... or grey. Did the invasion stripes extend all round the rear fuselage or just the lower surface? I have hunted everywhere fr reference material, but cant find any contemporary pictures of these two, or sister aircraft that show the detail that I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by GuyMassey on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: 299 Squadron Stirling markings - Arnhem

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Guy, that's great news mate! I'll have a look through my books but I'm sure some of the other members can tell you a lot more than I. Hope you will make a 'build' post on it.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Thanks for these, I have already found them. Unfortunately both the illustrations contain errors which make me question their overall accuracy. The painting shows a MkIV with a window where there was none, and the illustration shows all the fuselage windows in place when every other one should be missing... see the photograph of the same a/c that you found. For this reason I am seeking more contemporary photographs. It is looking probable that Arnhem a/c only had stripes on their lower surfaces, it was Normandy that had the full set, although there was no doubt some crossover. Thanks for your efforts. Guy
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Yes, possibly. Only problem is wrong squadron and not specifically Arnhem. The stripes were applied by ground crew at squadron level and probably varied as a consequence. A British Horsa photo attributed to Arnhem that I found has no stripes on the upper surfaces at all. To recap, I am looking for pictures of 299 Squadron Stirlings & gliders used during the Arnhem campaign. Thank you for your input to date.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Ok, I buckle to the request to post build pictures. I will state here that I am no expert, just an enthusiast! I enjoy building models of aircraft that I have a personal link with, as a consequence, kits rarely wind up being "straight from the box". I endeavour to add a little more detail as I go along, being mindful that 1) 99% of those who look at the finished article are not experts/purists and that most internal detail cannot be seen anyway, so 100% accuracy is not really an issue. So I build for my own enjoyment, flaws and all!!!

I have always wanted to build a MkIV Stirling and so my father's 299 squadron aircraft became an obvious choice. The final paint scheme and markings will come later, when and if I can find more reference material.

Recently Heritage Aviation Models released a conversion kit for Airfix's old 72nd Scale MkIII model. I had planned to scratch build the parts needed, and had already started working to build a vacuum forming frame. This new release, gave me the opportunity get on with the build sooner.

So here we go a week of spare moments into the build, and the first pictures ready to post.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

The Heritage Kit is £8.00 plus postage, and comprises of a mixture of resin, white metal and vac form. It's not much to look at, but all the items are labour-intensive and fiddly to make so represent value for money.
My parts came with two nose glazing vac formed parts, and I immediately realised that this was going to be the challenging part. The plastic is very thin, and not very clear, having unsightly dimples on the inside surface. Having roughly cut one out, leaving a little spare, it seems under-size and horribly static. With any kit there should be much dry assembly to identify problems, and yes this nose is going to need some thought. Perhaps the spare part will be better?
Attachments
A2.jpg
A2.jpg (30.49 KiB) Viewed 183165 times
A1.jpg
A1.jpg (44.48 KiB) Viewed 183165 times
Last edited by GuyMassey on Wed May 20, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

That is great Guy,

Max and David have passed on some very handy tips, should you need any building advice .......... on these links in the Modelling section
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=106
Another great build .........
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=259

Also, a Stirling in detail ( along with a bit of banter )
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=95
John
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

The MkIV started life as a MkIII conversion, 299 squadron used these on for both D-Day and Arnhem. When the MkIII evolved, some nose windows were deleted, further fuselage windows were deleted for the MkIV, together with the mid-upper and nose turrets. I intend my Stirling to be representative of one of those converted from a MkIII...