Short Stirling Sanger 1:48 scale Kit - Build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

....... Short Stirling from Sangster.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... Evy28D5jqA

Living on the other side of the world, one does hope Santa delivers it by Xmas. This model is a vacuum mould setup and from what fellow members, David and Max tell me, it will be a challenge like no other.
Well, I must give it a go. With Guy starting his 1:72 scale Short Stirling, it was enough for spur me into action.

Even though I have completed my 1"48 scale Lancaster, I'm still yet to finish the 3D surround casing ............ but will hope to tend to that over Xmas.
I also plan to add the squadron codes 1661 HCU (GP-?) but have no idea at time of writing what the additional letter will be. I have no details of my father's time at Winthorpe.

From Xmas onwards, I plan to provide a 'post' on the progression of the build and welcome any feedback. Wish me luck!

John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Brave man John! I expect to see build pictures from you too, seeing as you threw the challenge down to me. Mind you, being a huge 48th scale I expect to see a fully detailed and working "office" on yours!!! lol
Good luck mate... roll on Christmas!
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Hi John,

I'll be watching for updates on this project, as I would like to see how it comes out :)
I'm sure you will manage this challenge and make me want to start one as well :o

Good luck mate,
Wayne.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Well, the kit has just arrived ............... unexpected type of packaging ( no box ). thought I'd had no main wheels but found them wrapped in the outer plastic. ( that's them in the first photo )
Some other things like mudguards, rear wheels, are yet to surface. Here is the package. Must say that there is little to it as far as 'pieces'. ( bottom photo )
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Short Stirling Sanger 1:48 scale Kit - Build

Post by K4KittyCrew »

OK, at this point of time, I want to state that I or any other member, whilst making comment on any detail of the build, may sound critical ............ however, my / our point is really about letting members know the in's and out's of the build, handy hints for helping out and or avoiding problems that may arise.

If any member wishes to add their comments, please do.
John

# - Unwrapping the kit and removing the individual pieces ___________ The fuselage has copious amounts of sticky tape resin on both of them, I've tried Methylated Spirits, thinners, Spray and Wipe, to no
avail. So far, about half an hour to do one side. This could have been avoided if it was packaged into a plastic bag and then taped.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

You are a brave man Gungadin!!! I have done several of this type of kit and they are hard work to get right so I will be following your progress with interest. I have seen several reviews of this monster and those who persevered have produced a very acceptable result. I have faith in you my friend, but will save my investment until I have seen how you get on.
Have a great Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
Guy
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thanks Guy, yes, upon opening the package and cutting out the panels from the main form, first thoughts were that the whole structure will need a completely different approach to building it than say, from a standard plastic model.

I've noticed that it is quite flimsy along the edges of the fuselage, so I'm going to mark it out on ply wood and insert a 'spine' down the fuselage in order to get a good solid fix, when joining the two sections together.

Also, with the wings and so on, I'm going to use a paint-able silicone along the inside of the wings, to join them together. I think from first inspections that standard glue will not work because when you go to pick it up, the whole fuselage / wings, etc will crush and the glue will give way .......... whereas, a thick bead of paint-able silicone internally of the edges will suffice. ( not that i plan to get any of it externally of the kit, just in case )

Once they are locked together, I'll use my little porta grind tool to smooth both edges together, then filler over them, sand and hopefully, a sound unison piece that can marry up with the rest of it.

I'm thinking the hardest part of this whole 'blow mould' kit is being able to join the pieces together. Fingers crossed !
Best wishes to you and your family, mate.
Cheers,
John
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Hi John,
There is a lot of discussion about this particular kit on the brit modeler forum. I remember seeing these before and was put off the kit. However, I understand that the manufacturer has moved and MAY have addressed some of the issues. On the basis that forearmed is forewarned I give you the list of some faults that one builder encountered.

Fuselage halves aren't equal in width
Nose profile isn't symmetrical from above
Wings are "scribed" in an upside down profile
Fuselage halves have a horrible cant inwards of the roof & floor
transparencies are vaguely shaped like the parts they represent
Canopy is too narrow for the kit
Engine nacelles look like moulded bananas & don't seem to match the profile of the wings
No parts for the cockpit* or turrets are included & instructions for cockpit are wrong
The fuselage is moulded too narrow.

However there are some superb builds of this kit out there so it can be done!

Good luck!
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

GuyMassey wrote:Hi John,
There is a lot of discussion about this particular kit on the brit modeler forum. I remember seeing these before and was put off the kit. However, I understand that the manufacturer has moved and MAY have addressed some of the issues. On the basis that forearmed is forewarned I give you the list of some faults that one builder encountered.

Fuselage halves aren't equal in width
Nose profile isn't symmetrical from above
Wings are "scribed" in an upside down profile
Fuselage halves have a horrible cant inwards of the roof & floor
transparencies are vaguely shaped like the parts they represent
Canopy is too narrow for the kit
Engine nacelles look like moulded bananas & don't seem to match the profile of the wings
No parts for the cockpit* or turrets are included & instructions for cockpit are wrong
The fuselage is moulded too narrow.

However there are some superb builds of this kit out there so it can be done!

Good luck!
Guy, you are spot on with the accessment. The part about the 'inward cant' on the fuselage struck me as soon as I cut it from the mould, hence my reasoning with inserting the ply spline.
I'm also thinking that the 1-2mm lip on each of the joining edges on the fuselage, which adds up to 2-4mm may be the reason the cockpit does not fit ......... this extra bit, from my early observation, may need to be trimmed.

Thanks again .......... as a famous leader once said, "press on regardless" ( hope I still have the same enthusiasm further down the build )
John
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Go round again skipper!!! :D