Short Stirling Sanger 1:48 scale Kit - Build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Short Stirling Sanger 1:48 scale Kit - Build

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thank you gentlemen for your advise and encouragement.
I have cut the back corners of the canopy 'glass' ............ fitted a spreader to either side of the cockpit sides so that when i fit the canopy onto it, it will stay spread. I will then fill and paint the back of the canopy so everything (hopefully ) looks the same. Wish me luck! I hope to post some pics on the weekend.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi folks,

Well, I nearly there ............ as mentioned before, I have spread the sides of the glass canopy to fit on rails fitted on either side. I have now filled in with 'bondo' ready to sand, then paint.
The glass canopy will be cleaned up ......... looking quite messy at present. Also, since photos were taken, I have fitted the fuselage side windows ( not shown in photos )
I've actually started applying the decals .............. ( picked some up at Brisbane today )
One side of the Stirling will be GP-N ( 1661 HCU ) and the other side will be AA-Q ( 75 Squadron )
I haven't posted any photos with the decals as yet but will once completed ( this coming weekend, I hope )
Cheers,
John

" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

I'm Finished !!!!!!!

............ well, all except for the rear wheels, which I'm still yet to make. I plan on posting some other photos from other angles but this is for starters.

Many thanks to all my forum friends who helped with advice and encouraged me with things got tough .......... and they did get tough!
As you can see, the decals are of two different makes but that is all i have to work with ( even after buying some on the weekend ) ....... because i wanted to have one side representing 1661 HCU and the other side, 75 Sqn. I will replace the letters to a matching set, later on.

Also, because of the issues with adding a bulsa wood spleen inside the fuselage, I have blacked ( from the back of the glass ) the side windows.

The finished product is by no means perfect but with my limitations as a maker and those of the kit, I'm proud of what I have achieved and I would especially like to thank Max and David, who planted the seed to start the build many moons ago.
Cheers,
John
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Well done John, you've managed to produce a silk purse from a pig's ear there!! That's a lovely looking Stirling, an excellent stable mate for your Lanc. Now, that Halibag!!! :)

Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

What an amazing result John! I looked at the photos of the kit that you posted to begin with and wondered how on earth you'd ever have the patience to turn such flimsy stuff into a finished piece. And now here it is, and looking stunning!

Well done, It's been a real triumph of ingenuity, cussedness and will over lousy manufacturing :D :D

Cheers,

Richard
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

My dear chap - a most commendable effort and a lesson to many folk who may shy away from an intense challenge.. Exceedinbgly well done.
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Well done John, it's magnificent mate! Had I been doing it I think it would have been in the bin long ago.

DAve
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thank you gentleman for your kind words and support.
Have you heard about the new 1:32 Lanc ?
Cheers,
John
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... DG2dLo7LAw
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

A Stirling by Sanger, he built,
A task at which others would wilt.
But through perseverance and pluck
and with hardly any luck.
He did it... with hardly a tilt!

:lol:
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

Hi John,
What a beauty 8-) 8-) You have really made a nice job of it. I am not familiar with Sanger models and after reviewing this thread, i can see they are not for the faint hearted.
The price of the kit is very affordable but, from what i have read on here, Sanger need to shape up!

That said, what a fine addition to your collection. I am very impressed with this build!..........well done! ;)
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!