Short Stirling Sanger 1:48 scale Kit - Build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Short Stirling Sanger 1:48 scale Kit - Build

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Sorry, forgot to say that around 300 mk1 Series 1 were built. I believe the retractable under belly turret was discarded as it had a tendency to lower itself on take off due to the vibrations!
Last edited by Dave_Richardson on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Having seen your prowess with balsa wood, I would make a new solid faring out of white Milliput or similar, it could then be drilled, carved and sanded to its final shape...
Good luck! :D
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Dave_Richardson wrote:Sorry, forgot to say that around 300 mk1 Series 1 were built. I believe the retractable under belly turret was discarded as it had a tendency to lower itself on take off due to the vibrations!

Comments like this from Dave, is why such forums are great value. I work on the theory that even though I have spent nearly seven years reading/ learning about Bomber Command, you will always continue to learn about new things. Dave's comments about the belly turret are of great interest.

PS - The 'build' is know as a whole ( all attached ) photos to follow over the weekend.

Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

hi Folks,

Well, first off, thanks Guy for the vote of confidence on the the thought of making a new faring for the mid upper, but .......... the plastic turret just doesn't cut it as well, so I'm thinking of leaving it off for now, thanks anyway mate.

OK, the build has been tough from the start, new thinking and an open mind was required and things were coming together, let's say ......... not too badly, but this last week has been really tough. Things have not been working out too well at all.

I was going to leave the wings off till after spray painting but my gut feeling this week was, better get them on ........... don't know how well they will hold / sit in place. Well, lucky I did fit them. I seriously do not know how this model kit can hold together without a spleen, as I have done.i have rebated them into the side fuselage / timber spleen ...... and the wings STILL want to float / sag, up and down!

Anyway, I've drilled 4mm holes into the top and bottom sides of the fuselage ( right near the wings) ......... pumped it full of silicone .......... and now, I have a solid fixing. Really tough stuff.

So now you may be thinking I'm losing it and had enough ????????? .......... Never, I will not give up, so I will just grin and bear it and work thru it. ( the liquor cabinet has copped a hiding of late! )

Listed below are just SOME of the issues over the past week. As a great man once said ....... " Press on regardless "
Cheers,
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

This really is bad publicity for Sanger, I do hope that you will point them at the forum so that they can see for themselves the problems that you have had. Your determination is a credit to you and I hope that you will be pleased with the completed item. Unfortunately Sanger's offering is the only one available if you want to build a 48th scale example, just like Airfix have the monopoly of 72nd scale. Come on Revell WAKE UP!!!
I look forward to seeing this big bird painted, and your solution to the tail wheels.
Guy
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Well done John, it's become a real test of character - press on regardless ol' boy :D On the plus side, it's looking pretty good and it's a big beastie - gotta be good!

Richard
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

I think Trumpeter is the way forward to go alongside their Wellington. :ugeek:
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Well, I'm slowly getting there. I've just sprayed the Stirling with 'flat black' ............ it looks grey in the photos but that is not a true reflection of the actual colour. I'm very happy with the 'black' finish.
Cheers,
John
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Folks,

Could anyone recommend colours for ............

* Exhaust pipes - black, grey ???
* Front of cowling's - silver, copper ???
* Undercarriage frame - black, dark grey, sliver ???

Thanks in advance,
John
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Hi John

What a great job. I have to admire your modelling skills and patience! The kit certainly seems a challenging one!

I don't know if this photo will help with the colours? The front of the engine cowling seems to have taken on 2 colours and the undecarraige seems to be black with steel bits and chips (note my excllent grasp of the technical details!)

Dave