One Who Almost Made it Back

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

One Who Almost Made it Back

Post by smudgersmith218 »

The Remarkable Story of one of World War Two's Unsung Heroes, Sqn Ldr Edward 'Teddy' Blenkinsop, DFC, CdeG (Belge), RCAF

On the night of 27/28 April 1944, Teddy Blenkinsop and his crew were acting as deputy master bombers during a Pathfinder raid on Montzen in Belgium. After a successful attack, their Lancaster was shot down. Miraculously he survived to be protected by Belgian citizens before ending his days in Bergen Belsen concentration camp. Little was known of his exploits in between until Peter Celis, a Belgian air-force officer, began to research the story. What he uncovered is far more amazing than any fictional film could be. He found that Blenkinsop was not only an exceptional and gallant operational pilot, but that his loyalty, dedication and devotion were second to none and that his bravery and fearlessness led him to make the supreme sacrifice in the face of Nazi Germany. Written with pace and insight, this is an uplifting account of an outstanding young man who very nearly made it back home.
Show More
Show Less

Published 29/08/08
ISBN 9781906502164
Format Hardback
Dimensions 246 x 170mm
Attachments
41Xl0R+1AzL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
41Xl0R+1AzL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (11.42 KiB) Viewed 8264 times
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: One Who Almost Made it Back

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Excellent, Steve .................. I will add this one to my preferred list.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
paul61
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paul61 »

Steve,
2 of my friends, F/L Jim Scannell DFM DFC & W/C Reg Lane DSO DFC & Bar, witnessed Teddy's downing.
Their 405 sqdn. kite (Master Bomber) is pictured above and behind Blenkinsop's, in the now famous painting.
Jim Scannell ( R/G) witnessed the fighter attack and subsequent explosion. They knew it was Teddy's kite by the colour of the exploding T.I's, and reported the crew killed.

http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/s,blenkinsop.html

Cheers.
Paul
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Paul,

Thanks for the post, I am not that knowledgably about the PFF, I may buy this book having read the link.

Regards

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
paul61
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paul61 »

Steve,
You're welcome.
35 & 405 sqdns were my specialties, as I had many friends there, such as Jim and Reg (both were also on 35).
I will check to see if Reg's kite , on this op to Montzen, was a Mk 6 Lanc? He had flown the Mk 6 on the last of the Berlin raids, March 24/25/1944, as Master Bomber.

Cheers.
Paul
MT606
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MT606 »

I've just read the book, tis a good insight into inhouse resistence/colaboration/capture issues and some of the feelings and issues the families of those MIA, go through. Shame there isn't more on life around the station in it, I lived in the area and did a little stint of gliding from Gransden lodge.
Worth a read but not on my top 20.